1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Buying an American Deluxe Jazz Bass V, but...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by marleaux, Dec 28, 2013.

1. marleaux

marleaux

Hi everyone,

I am going to order an American Deluxe Jazz Bass V over internet without touching and playing it...

Are they all the same? or do I have to look arround and try all the available ones and try the pick the perfect one?

Thanks,

2. ShoeManiac

ShoeManiac Supporting Member

I had an opportunity to try out both an American Deluxe Jazz Bass 5 string and an American Standard Jazz Bass 5 string in the same sitting. This was with the same amp in the same room, etc. From a playing standpoint, I found both to be comparable. But in the case of the Deluxe, I found the preamp to be a bit noisy. Given the cost of the bass I found that a bit troubling. Especially since the American Std was dead quiet.

Evidently, the experience I had wasn't unique. Some American Deluxe Jazz 5 owners have reported their basses as dead quiet, while others are noisy. It's a level of inconsistency that's kind of unacceptable to me at that price point.

Still, it's your money. If you think this bass is the right fit for you, go for it. But be sure that the return policy gives you enough time to check out the instrument and determine if it works for you.

3. marleaux

marleaux

Thank you for your reply. It is helpfull.

Preamp is an important issue. I was wondering about the neck and the body. I think they all came pre adjusted...

4. jmcorn

jmcorn Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Praise and Worship bassist member #1232
    I have an older MIA jazz dlx5. I think its a 2006 model i think. Anyway it is very quiet without any noise issues. But I think I prefer the sound of a passive jazz. Lately I have been playing my Squire VM jazz 5 more than the ADJ 5. They both have Lindy FrAlin single coils in them also.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Supporting Member

The American Standard Jazz is a great bass. I still miss mine, and I would love to pick up another. If you order a Deluxe, just order from a company like Musicians Friend which has a nice return policy. If you do not like the Deluxe, you could simply get a Standard
    And a nice outboard preamp like a Sadowsky or Aguilar. I thought my old Jazz sounded fantastic through a Sadowsky outboard preamp.

7. marleaux

marleaux

Maybe I should stick to my Alleva Coppolo plan... I am really confused. This will be my first Jazz Bass and I am in the magnetic field for AC basses also. But paying triple the price??

Maybe I should buy a ADJ 5 and play for a while and see If I am going to need more... latest american deluxe jazz bass are too quiet as far as I know btw...

8. Baird6869

Baird6869 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Nobody is stupid enough to actually pay me to play their gear.
    I owned a 2012 American Deluxe Jazz 5 until recently and it was an amazing bass. As good as a Sadowsky Metro IMO.

I heard the preamp can be noisy, but I didn't find that at all.

The newer necks feel a lot better to me that the pre-2008 basses which were a bit chunkier (I also owned a 2007 Jazz 5 DLX MIA).

The quality on all of the ones I have played has been very good. A couple of setup issues can be expected when drastic temperature changes are involve during shipping, but fit and finish have been impressive.

I think getting a lemon would be very rare.

AC basses can be nice, but IMO ONLY, they are overpriced.... and I say that as a guy that has 2 Foderas on order.

9. BIGEJ2

BIGEJ2 Supporting Member

I purchased a 2011 Am Dlx Jazz 5, 2012 Am Dlx Jazz 4 and a 2012 Am Dlx P all sight unseen from the web. Didn't have a problem with any of them. All were excellent, setup well and quiet. Now with that being said, they were all natural and some had nicer grain patterns than others.

10. Gougedeye

Gougedeye Supporting Member

I have owned 3 American Deluxe Jazz Vs. All post 2010 era. The first was a 2010 and had a noisy preamp, but I shielded all the cavities in the bass and made sure the ground was tight and it worked absolutely flawlessly from then on. I have also had a 2011 and a 2012. I traded the 2011, however it worked perfectly all the time I owned it. I still own the 2012 and play it out regularly. It is a great bass! The fit and finish of these basses has been super. If you find yourself wanting to mod these, they are a great platform! I purchased all these basses through the web, without ever playing them. I think they are a good value, compared to the AC. Not that the AC is not a valuable instrument...:D

[​IMG]

11. Humbled

Humbled Supporting Member

I ordered an American Deluxe Jazz Bass V from MF in early October of this year and kept it for about two weeks before sending it back. MF refunded what I had paid in full. All I was out was return shipping.

It became obvious early on that there was no way I was going to achieve a decent set-up on the one I got without neck shimming. For what they cost, I thought this was too deep a hole to start in.

I still want a Fender five-string. I just haven't held and played "the" one yet.

12. bradjonesbass

bradjonesbass

For that money, I'd be looking for a used Sadowsky Metro - there are a few in the classifieds - or a Skyline 55-60 (if 35" scale doesn't bother you) with an Audere, Sadowsky or J-Retro preamp.

13. marleaux

marleaux

This is what I am worried about... Thanks

14. marleaux

marleaux

I am not a Sadowsky person, I want that classic punchy sound of Fender Jazz Basses, and Sadowsky sounds like something different.

15. marleaux

marleaux

Great Bass... Thanks.

16. Rev.Dr.

Rev.Dr.

For what it's worth I have a 2013 American Deluxe jazz V(ash with maple neck) which is dead quiet, sounds phenomenal and was a breeze to set up. I've been through many basses over the years; and this one is a keeper. It has become my go to bass . Maybe I got a "good one". But this jewel is one of the best buys I've had over the past few years. As much as I love my Lakland and Smith basses, they are currently taking a backseat to the Fender Deluxe. In short I couldn't be happier!

17. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    I have an MIA Jazz Deluxe 4 string. I didn't get much noise but wasn't entirely happy with the tone. When in active mode the output was comparable with my passive Precision, but once I put the Jazz bass in passive mode there was a huge drop in output. I decided to change out the electronics and go passive. I installed Lindy Fralin pickups, new pots and capacitors. The bass sounds and plays great.

18. lbladams

lbladams Guest

I have an American Deluxe Jazz 4 and it is very good. Quiet and was setup well as delivered. Only had to tension neck and tune. Very playable. I liked the large drop in output for passive. This is the only 4 string I own. Haven't hit its limits yet.

However, I was warned of inconsistent quality and took back one within a day. Obvious grounding problem and that is unacceptable on a new bass in that price range.

19. marleaux

marleaux

ok so I need to test it before buy. got it. thank you!!