buying an amp? opinions needed

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by wastedspace4, Dec 17, 2013.

1. wastedspace4

wastedspace4

Acoustic B450mkII 450W 2x10 vs Gallien-Krueger MB212-II 500w 2X12

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Acoustic-B450mkII-450W-Bass-Combo-Amp-107901548-i2497482.gc#Buttons Ready

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Gallien...-Bass-Combo-Amp-108929704-i1869751.gc#Buttons Ready

I just need to keep up with a pretty loud drummer and a guitar player with a 100watt Kustom 1x12 amp in our practice shed, my 75w fender isnt doing it. we play funk/rock and i like to slap. i have only heard good things about both of these amps and i want to know if i get the GK will i be paying just for GK name or is the Acoustic just as good or better. i just want opinions on this from people who have played one or both of these amps, and im open to suggestions on other amps as well. i have played on an Acoustic and a GK but not these exact amps, and i like both though. thanks in advance
  2. Davyo

Davyo Davyo Supporting Member

Having owned both brands I can say from personal experience the GK MB212 wins by a landslide, plus it's only 37lbs,,, the Acoustic bass amps weigh a ton compared to GK's.

GK gets my vote.

Cheers
    Davyo
  3. Reddog01

Reddog01

I just picked up a GK MB115 II, and I am very happy with it!
  4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Between those two brands, GK.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. wastedspace4

wastedspace4

well i am tight on budget, i can spend the 800 for the GK but that extra 200 would be nice? i just want to make sure im not spending that extra 200 for GK name, even though i love GK. money is the main issue.
  7. GBassNorth

GBassNorth

GK by a mile! You might be able to find a nice used one on the GC used gear site. I have the 210 combo and it is plenty loud plus it can take a 210 or 115 extension cab to really belt out the bass if needed. Not sure if the 212 has extension cab capability.
  8. Geni758

Geni758 Supporting Member

I would suggest you try to pick up something used since budget is an issue. You can find used gear in very good condition and prices here in the classifieds.
  9. Dmwphoto

Dmwphoto what does this light/\ do? Supporting Member

Buy the acoustic and you will end up with the GK eventually so spend a little more now and be done with it. The accoustc is low quality entry stuff. Hence the price.

You asked..... Good luck.
  10. tbirdsp

tbirdsp Supporting Member

GK all the way. Maybe not representative of the whole line, but I've been playing through an Acoustic amp at the local Guitar Center rehearsal studio and it's literally the worst sounding amp I've ever heard. I actually have been meaning to say something to the management - the guitards get their choice of Marshall and Egnater half stacks and I get THIS crap?!

In contrast - my GK MB200 head has been great, and I have played through the combos at several open jams and they sounded excellent.
  11. Wesley R

Wesley R

I am always for not overspending. If you are doing this for a living that is one thing, yet as a hobby that is another. However, buying the best quality you can afford is a pretty darned good idea.

If $600 is a comfort point, go used.
    List your area because many here love to search for bargains, even for other people.

If it had to be between the two amps you listed, it would be a GK desiscion all the way for me.

Someone heer talked about some GB combos on E-Bay for a steeply discounted cost. Maybe that would do the trick, high quality and save you a few sheckles.
  12. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Union card-carrying liberal academic musician
    Might add that the GK MB212 ll can be used with the 500 watt powered extension cabinet. Check GK's web pages for more details. It gives you an upgrade path that the Acoustic lacks.

I am NOT a fan of combo amps, but GK is one of the better choices—assuming you don't find a used GB shuttle 6.0 (or similar) for ~$325 and a good used 410 for ~$350.
  13. wastedspace4

wastedspace4

thanks for all the input, i will give used gear a look, but ive never had much luck in finding anything, and the one time i did it was a waste of money. but thanks again guys, this site is awesome!
  14. wastedspace4

wastedspace4

Southern Oklahoma
  15. SteveHeissner

SteveHeissner

GK unless someone is giving you the Acoustic for free.
  16. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

Ask for a better price from Sweetwater or RMCAudioDirect. They both offer nice discounts, free shipping and excellent customer service. They will be better price/availability than GC and G-K is one heck of a value for the money you spend.
  17. MightyMiloQuinn

MightyMiloQuinn Supporting Member

Not to beat a dead horse, but GK, for sure.
  18. NWB

NWB

If you buy the Acoustic, then you can spend the rest of your money on beer. With each passing beer, that Acoustic will sound better and better to you. By the time you've polished off a half-rack, it'll sound like the God of Thunder - assuming you haven't passed out by that point.

To anyone else within earshot, not so much.
  19. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

^ Kudos that's funny :D
  20. inri222

inri222

GK gives you more options.
  21. NWB

NWB

Thanks B!

With you coming in and offering all the good advice, I figured someone had to give out some bad advice. I'm very good at that!