Buying an new amp and cabinet..advice

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by rivergoblin, Jan 1, 2014.

1. rivergoblin

rivergoblin Supporting Member

Hey I'm thinking about buying a new bass rig and amp for playing live, some outdoor/indoor gigs. I've been playing a 2x10 Eden cab and eden WTX500 head.

I want to have something we more headroom. I'm not sure what's the latest gear, i usually opt for newer gear rather than vintage. Probably spend somewhere around $3k. the new mesa boogie amps look interesting.

thoughts? thanks in advance
  2. Sartori

Sartori

Why not just get an additional 2x10 like the one you already have? I'm sure you have your reasons for wanting an entirely new rig, I'm just curious as to what they are.

What kind of sound are you interested in? The new Mesa heads are definitely cool, yes.
  3. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

+1 and there's just 2 many choices to list at that budget. Just remember, loud needs more speakers, so whatever you do, don't skimp on the spkr cabs. The new Mesa tube amp paired with a Powerhouse 412 would kill.
  4. Martin89

Martin89

Disclosures:
    Unofficial Endorser: Ibanez, D'Addario, Zoom
    A matching 210 to stack vertically would be plenty for you, maybe a different head if the current one wouldn't match ohms. Honestly at the big indoor/outdoor the PA support makes cabs optional. The little gigs big stacks can be overkill. A modular vertical 410 is a good route, fits in the vehicles easily and wouldn't be too costly.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

3K? That's a lot of amp. Start by telling us what speaker configuration you want. Since you've been getting by with a single 210, I imagine a pair of Super 12's with a great head would cover it, but I could be wrong. Is portabililty a concern? You have lots of choices...
  7. Sartori

Sartori

Either of the new Mesa tube amps. Getting the Strategy might be over budget, though, combined with the Powerhouse 412. But it would be so awesome.
  8. MuthaFunk

MuthaFunk

I've recently found a way to bypass the Eden WTX500's limiter which really limits the output, when bypassed it can give you quite a bit more punch. If you're interested in how PM me.
  9. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Sounds like a good way to blow up the 210. Better get another one to go with it.

More speakers makes more bass far better than more power into same speaker.

3k is a lot. Be prepared for a lot of rig suggestions.
  10. rivergoblin

that's a great question, I've always used 10" (either 2X10 or 4X10) but added a 15" this week (through PA) and like what i heard. Is there any where to get some info on sounds from different size speaker cabs?
  11. rivergoblin

That's a good point, i could add another cabinet but think i'm going down the "simple" road. Space (transportation and storage) would be a factor.

Had my current rig for a while, never been quite happy with the sound. Can't seem to get a consistent good tone from it. Felt like i needed some more power from the Eden on a couple gigs.
  12. rivergoblin

Hey thanks for the advice, I noticed there were different types of Mesa cabs but not a lot of info describing the differences. I'm sure there's info on talk bass but the forums are difficult to search.
  13. rivergoblin

good advice, i'm leaning toward a 4X10, possibly 2X12. Could add my 2X10 as needed at gigs.
  14. rivergoblin

I've liked playing with the Eden head but have found that limiter to be frustrating.
  15. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Less frustrating than blowing up your 210!

It sounds like you play with PA support. Vertical stack of 210 is excellent monitor and keeps up with acoustic drums quite fine. Your guitar player needs a well aimed single 12 to keep up with that. ****ing guitards.