Buying basses from Amazon? Any experiences?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Diesel Kilgore, Dec 13, 2012.

1. Diesel Kilgore

Diesel Kilgore

I will admit I am an Amazon freak. I have bought many things from them and used sellers and not once have had a problem. Auto parts, cds, clothing items etc...

However I am leary about buying a bass from them. The one thing I am afraid of is shipping. I love that shipping would be free and I would get a bass sans sales tax and shipping. But I am worried it would be shipped in a standard wedge box pulled from a warehouse with no cushioning and get banged up on the way to my house.

Ive had basses shipped before. But from private sellers and have had good results. From a major seller. I just dont know. Ive had auto parts shipped that were basically pulled from shelves in standard packaging and shipped that way. No problems, but with a bass its scary to think of that being the same method.

Anyone have any experience with buying any gear from Amazon?
  2. Blue_Whistle88

Blue_Whistle88 Supporting Member

I ordered a bass from Amazon once; a set of golf clubs turned up instead, but I just strung it up with some Rotosounds and chucked in some EMGs and it sounds great.
  3. Pokerdweebz

Pokerdweebz Supporting Member

I've ordered an acoustic guitar and a bass. No problems with shipping.
  4. Bongolation

Bongolation

Lots.

Buying Amazon basses was a full-time occupation for the guys in the "Hot Deals" section here a year or two back.

Some were substandard, absolute garbage that were apparently dumped as returns or rejects. Others were first-rate. One manufacturer's rep has said off-the-record never to buy one of their basses from Amazon as the only ones they sell to Amazon are their reject overseas builds.

Amazon sourcing is always mysterious and includes a lot of distressed merchandise. I'd say half of the music gear I bought from Amazon -- and I bought a great deal of it, of all kinds -- was somewhere between fishy and a total trainwreck, stuff you absolutely would not believe, real comedy episodes.

BUT...if it's trash, it goes back at their expense, so you can't lose.

I also got a few really great deals on excellent merchandise.

For the most part, though, Amazon's long deals are a thing of the past. Everyone's griping about it. Plus, with CA sales tax now, they're a non-starter for me personally.
  5. Scott Sauna

Scott Sauna

Just loved this quote. Ive bought various items off of Amazon and received multiple non-functioning items.
  6. user2048

user2048

I bought a bass from Amazon. It was shipped in the manufacturer's bass-sized box, inside a larger flat box at least twice as wide. The inner box slid around in the outer box. The only padding was the manufacturer's - a few pieces of crumbling foam in the inner box. It came with free one-day shipping (UPS). It arrived in fine shape.

I don't think the bass was had been returned. It wasn't defective.
  7. deltax

deltax

I bought a cheapo bass from Amazon a few years ago and it was all honky dory. The bass shipped in the original manufacturers box, which was placed inside of a slightly bigger packing box filled with crumbled paper and cardboard wedges to keep it from moving. However for a more expensive bass I'd rather go with a smaller shop that will probably take better care of their basses while they sit in waiting. I considered buying a music man sterling from them however for that amount of money I'd prefer to go through a smaller store(sales tax for CA is also another concern with amazon, for me at least).
  8. DaveMurietta

DaveMurietta

I bought a Fender bass and had no problems at all. It was just the fender shipping box with the case safely packed inside. It was during the rebate and when the CA tax wasn't an issue. The bass was perfect and I have zero complaints. Plus their policy is so good that I knew they would fix any problem I had.

If you haven't already, do the trial Amazon prime for a month and get the bass shipped to you in two days for free. Just remember to cancel before the one month period or you lose 90 bucks. So I got the bass a 100 bucks cheaper and in two days with free shipping.
  9. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Amazon may have to start taxing sales to California residents. Even if they don't, you still are legally obligated to pay the tax. While the state has not been vigorous in pursuing collection of sales tax on out-of-state internet purchases, they seem to be a little more diligent about it now.
  10. bertbassplayer

bertbassplayer

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Marco Bass Guitars
    I ordered a Peavey Millennium BXP for a guy at church (I have Amazon Prime so it allows me to get free 2 day shipping). It came in fine, but after 1 rehearsal we had electronic problems... and actually it ended up melting the two batteries together. All that was a big problem... but Amazon paid to have it shipped back and refunded the money. So while there might be a ton of issues, at least they do have a good refund policy.
  11. Bongolation

Bongolation

They have been for some time now.
  12. awamori

awamori

I bought my VM Jag Special from Amazon and it was a dream of a purchase not one shipping issue nor did the horrid shipping contractor damage my bass.
  13. TheRealKong

TheRealKong

I never bought a bass that I didn't hold in my hands. No matter, what brand, it has to be love at first sight. :bassist:

This is why I never sold one of my basses - except a Lado I bought in 1982. I fell in Love with the small neck - but I had to adjust it every two weeks. And I learned to hate the 8-step Soundswitch. Too much posibilitys - lots of switching around, not the real sound..... :D
  14. Diesel Kilgore

Diesel Kilgore

Hmm. I didnt know about the sales tax thing. Maybe because I buy mostly used and havent bought anything direct from Amazon in awhile. I guess now it would be the same as if I had GC order me something but let them deal with shipping. If its busted up I can just walk out on it. Thanks all.
  15. Bassmunnky

Bassmunnky

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball MusicMan Guitars
    Most of the time it's coming from a Vendor...like Chicago Bass Exchange or other music store. You can clearly see that when you purchase.

Sales tax is being charged based of State it's being shipped to...January 1, more states will be added.
  16. DwaynieAD

DwaynieAD

none of that is based at all in fact.
  17. HillBillyWannaB

HillBillyWannaB

Bought an SX through them with no problems. Bass was great
  18. baba

baba Supporting Member

I've bought a couple with no issues. My most recent had the wedge box you speak of inserted into a larger box with minimal packing material, but it showed up fine.
  19. jlepre

jlepre

You must REALLY like Fenders huh? :bag:
  20. ggvicviper

ggvicviper P is the Key. Call me Marc or Marky Potatoes. Gold Supporting Member

Bought a Fender and a Warwick from them through 3rd party sellers. Excellent experience.