Buying First Bass Guitar

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by AudioXp, May 1, 2011.

1. AudioXp

AudioXp

Hey guys, sorry if this is in the wrong forum or something

Skip to the next red text if you want the short version

So I lays regular guitar (Couple years now), piano, and I do a lot of electronic/hip-hop type stuff on the computer as well. And I've lately become really interested in bass and decided that's where I want to go to improve on my music and musical abilities.

I have a couple friends who I've been talking to who play bass and have given me a couple suggestions on what to get but I still need some help making a decision.

Heres the gist of it

My budget is around $300 maybe $20-30 more would be for shipping if I needed it.

Currently I'm looking at -

SX Basses - I heard they are good beginner basses and they are good for the price. Would save me some money as well.

Flea Bass Street Version - I looked at some threads around here and it looks like they've been getting mixed reviews which is putting me off a little bit

Squier - I started with a really cheap Squier 6 string when I started playing guitar, it didn't really let me down. Just wondering what people think as far as for bass.

If anyone could help please and possibly give some other suggestions.

2. Muzoid

Muzoid

Go Squier.

Best bet out of the 3 choices.....some will steer you towards SX, but I like the look of the good 'ol fender headstock, vs the one on the SX.

Quality would be about the same between them.....but as always, some are good, some are bad...and a few break the rules and are amazing. (more-so in the Squier dept.)

More choices in Squier I imagine as well.
  3. AudioXp

AudioXp

Forgot to mention I'm looking for a Jazz style bass as well
  4. ChasBass

ChasBass

+1 for VM Jazz.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. SurferJoe46

SurferJoe46

7. AgIdoc

AgIdoc

+1 vm jazz. excellent bass.
  8. superdick2112

superdick2112 Registered Spector Addict

Another vote for the VM Jazz. Versatile, comfy neck, easy playing and a good value.
  9. stingray2112

stingray2112

I'd go with the VM Jazz myself. I've played them before and for the price you can't beat them.
  10. ian_s

ian_s Supporting Member

Very happy with my SX Jazz. Highly recommended.
  11. tk421

tk421

ok ... just go out and play some basses. buy what feels right.
    whatever you do, don't just buy the first thing that you see.

you said you are looking for a jazz - are you looking for the classic fender jazz body style, or the JJ pickup config? i ask this because when i started i was all about the jazz style - and ended up buying a peavey foundation. played a ton of fenders and ibanezes, some off brands, even some kramers (this was the early 90's ...) but the peavey just felt SOLID. and it sounded great - gotta love the super ferrites.

lately i have been leaning more to the p-j (more precisely, the reverse p-j ibanez style) config. it just gives me a better range of sounds. i never cared for the MM style buckers though ... i can't seem to get tones i like out of em.

but what it all boils down to, is that no one on a forum can tell you what you like. you gotta do it for yourself - you will be happier in the long run, and might just learn something along the way.
  12. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Supporting Member

Squier VM would be a good choice at $300. The SXs are generally fine (I liked the one I had) and would indeed save you money of course. You might also think about a lower-end Yamaha like the RBX170. What are you planning to do for an amp? As I'm sure you know as a guitarist, the amp is half the instrument.
  13. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Get a Squier CV Jazz. They're about $350 and they are pretty nice. A lot of guys like them better than MIM Fenders and some even say they're nicer than MIA Fenders.
  14. EtoG

EtoG

+1 to the Squier VM Jazz. It's a great bass, and since you're looking for a Jazz style anyway, I don't see how you can go wrong. :bassist: Best of luck!
  15. john grey

john grey

The Squier VM Jazz is a fine choice; however your setup is EXTREMELY important! The best advice (to reiterate) is to PLAY a lot of different basses. If you "gotta' have it now" then make sure you also have some $ set aside for a setup from a REAL pro.
    Remember if you totally freeze your spending at one price level and can't budge; you cut your choices and will have to depend on what THAT PARTICULAR instrument can do (construction, electronically, & setup-wise). You may find an outstanding bass for 350 or a bit beyond that number.

When dealing with certain low price-point instruments, you very often get a mixed bag in quality. -=Higher cost (generally) buys some level of uniformity.=- {In the "lower than $500" range especially.}
    Buying a bass without playing it and examining it is a REAL gamble in lower price ranges. If you are going to go that route, then without question find a GOOD shop with a REAL luthier (not some kid at Guitar Center, but someone who can deal with imperfections and very subtle adjustments). As a very broad generality, Asian instruments are more consistent than MIM units at a low price range
  16. Rockmusician

Rockmusician Banned

Ibanez has some good basses in that price range. Many are 24 fret and some have active electronics. Personally, I think you get more for the money with Ibanez than you do with Squier.
  17. Moofknock

Moofknock

Ibanez SR300 best way to go :)
  18. lindseyp

lindseyp

I strongly urge you to get to a store that stocks a variety of basses and listen to what you like. Also pay attention to which amps you like with each bass you try.
  19. PeaceFrog

PeaceFrog

Squier for sure!! you can always do small upgrades as you go if you choose!!! These basses sound great with pickup upgrades along with upgrading the pots.
  20. jabsys

jabsys

Another vote for the Squier VM Jazz