1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Buying first effects pedal! (Need help)

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Blackhawks55, Jan 12, 2014.

1. Blackhawks55

Blackhawks55

Hi everyone,

I've been playing now for a while, recently upgrading my amp to an Ampeg BA115 at Christmas time, now I am looking to slowly delve into the effects world. I want to just start with something cheaper, and see what effects can actually do for me. I play a lot of Rush, so I want to get an overdriven sound like Geddy.

Here's what I'm looking at http://www.guitarcenter.com/Behringer-Bass-Overdrive-BOD400-Bass-Effects-Pedal-H85657-i2540373.gc
    My ampeg combo has an effects loop, my biggest question is.. Will I just need to purchase an instrument cable for this effect pedal to work? Not very experienced in this dept. So I figured it would be good to ask!

Thank you very much, any help would be appreciated!
  2. MightyMiloQuinn

MightyMiloQuinn Supporting Member

You may want to take a look at the Joyo Ultimate Drive. It seems to be the best bargain option for overdrives.

You don't need to go through the effects loop, but you will need a cable. One to go from bass to pedal and one from pedal to amp.
  3. Bassmike62

Bassmike62

The link leads to something sold out, but I'm guessing you're looking at the SansAmp clone BDI21. It's a good start to go down Geddy's path, as is the SansAmp Bass Driver. Don't bother plugging in the effects loop, plug into the instrument input. So you'll need a cable for bass to pedal and another for pedal to amp.
  4. MothBox

MothBox

For cheap pedals to start off on take a look at Joyo. Theyre mostly copies of higher end kit and from what ive tried of them theyre okay quality too.

Either that or get yourself a multieffects pedal. A Zoom or something similar. Find some sounds you like and then see if a single pedal would give you a better version of that sound if you want to go down the route of individual effects.

You need a standard lead out of either side of the pedal and patch cables between pedals.
  5. nshuman

nshuman Supporting Member

Definitely take a look at Joyo and the Ultimate Drive in particular. +1 on not using the effects loop.
  6. Blackhawks55

Blackhawks55

Thank you all very much for the help!
  7. Mjinsk

Mjinsk

I would suggest you to buy a multi-effect pedal, like a Zoom, too. It will allow you to try different stuff. It's quite hard to know which pedal you need/want when you never tried one with your own bass and your amp.
  8. Angel Switch

Angel Switch

I know others will say other things, but my experience with Behringer hasn't exactly been fantastic. +1 to the Joyo :)
  9. Sav'nBass

Sav'nBass Supporting Member

This... I suggest you spend a bit more and look for a Zoom MS-60B if money is tight or a Zoom B3 if you have a little more wiggle room. The reason is that if you are new to effects and you really don't know what you want a multi pedal will give you the best opportunity with the least amount of money to try sevral different things. The MS-60B is the aboslute best bang for the buck in your case and I am not sure but I think that series is the only single pedal multi available with the amount of effe tw availalable, at that pricepoint and with that footprint. It is well worth the investment.
  10. gregmon79

gregmon79 We've come to kill gods...... Supporting Member

As others have stated, check out the Joyo Ultimate Drive and all the other pedals they have to offer in their line. They are really great pedals for the price. Also check out the Hardwire series pedals, the CM2 and the other valve distortion. Great pedals. If you are really that new to pedals I recommend grabbing the Zoom MS60B and the 70CDR, they have multiple effects in each and you can learn effects and figure out which ones youll use most and then you can branch out from there with single pedals if you want. They are awesomely good effects for a multi. Welcome to the effects world/addiction!!! Hope you learn a bunch and play even more :)
  11. nshuman

nshuman Supporting Member

+1 on the Zoom B3 and MS-60B 70CDR. Also, on those, the Joyo UD, the Hardwire pedals, a nice thing to know is that they are not really novice throwaway pedals like some other brand name cheap pedals. These ones, you can buy as a beginner but they can still have a place on your board later on.

On the B3 vs MS 60B, the 60B is smaller and might be a better fit later on if you accumulate more pedals and are running low on board space.