1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Buying gauges from stewmac - English or metric?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by hags2k, Jan 17, 2013.

1. hags2k

hags2k

Im looking at getting a gauge, specifically this one. Not sure if it even makes a difference since units can be converted, but I wondered if there's an advantage one way or the other. I'll be using them to set up fender and fender-style basses. Normally I'd just go metric, but I've seen a decent amount of documentation with suggested measurements in fractions of an inch, so I thought I'd check before buying. I'd rather not buy both since they're a bit pricey and I won't use it that often.
  2. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

i wouldn't know what to do with the metric one. (my USA bias i guess, if i were a tech in japan or germany it might be the opposite situation.)
  3. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Same here. I'd buy whatever set was in the format I was most familiar with, then convert if needed. If you're getting info from TB, about everything here is in SAE measurement, not metric.
  4. TC424

TC424

I have one of those. I believe it's SAE. The important thing is on the back it has a conversion table of inches into decimal places and into metric. IE 1/4" = .250 inches = 2cm. Those numbers I plucked from the air. Math gurus, please ignore.
  5. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

I've got one in SAE as well, but if I were living in a place that used the metric system as a standard I'd go with that one.
  6. SoVeryTired

SoVeryTired Endorsing nothing, recommending much Supporting Member

Whatever you're comfortable working in and whatever you're getting recommended measurements in. I tend to use metric but the Fender setup guides, for example, give both imperial and metric.
  7. hags2k

hags2k

Thanks for the suggestions!

That's the thing - In my mind I am very comfortable with centimeters and milimeters, but I've gotten a lot of info in SAE units.

Still, I think I'll go with metric. Even though I'm in the US, for small distances I can "see" mm and cm without thinking about it, but I've really no idea about fractions of an inch without a ruler.
  8. SoVeryTired

SoVeryTired Endorsing nothing, recommending much Supporting Member

I know what you mean. In the UK we operate with a strangr mixture of the two measurements. For long distances I think in miles, for weight it's usually pounds, for height it's feet and inches but for precise distances I think in cm and mm as they seem better suited to small measures than tiny fractions of an inch. That's just my brain though. YBMV.
  9. hags2k

hags2k

I'm right there with you. I think of miles per hour, my weight in pounds, and if you ask my height, i'll say 5'10". But mm make a lot more sense to me for distances at that scale.
  10. warnergt

warnergt

+1 I picked up the one with inches. Most of the specs I have
    seen are in inches.