1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Buying my first amp

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by diogometalhead, Jan 27, 2014.

1. diogometalhead

diogometalhead

Hello! So I am going to buy a Esp Ltd F-104 in a couple of weeks and I also need to get a amp but I have no idea what to buy so can someone help me get one? I am a beginner and going to play metal. The max I am willing to pay is $100 unless it is a bit more and worth it.

2. Roland GR 88

Roland GR 88 Gold Supporting Member

Peavey, Ampeg and Acoustic have models around $100.00 new. They are meant for practice mostly and won't sound too good cranked up. If you can stretch the budget to 150 you'll find older Ampegs, Peaveys and Fenders that will be good practice amps and keep up with a drummer or guitarist too. Peaveys should be at the top of the list as they aren't expensive new, last forever and there are lots out there. Good luck, welcome aboard and let us know how you do.

3. basscooker

basscooker

Disclosures:
    Owner, Chopshopamps.com
    Are you just learning to play? If so, just about anything that works and has a speaker will do. Maybe even just a headphone amp. With a budget like $100 you are going to be hard-pressed to find much that will do with other musicians involved. Shopping used from Craigslist or the local rag may turn up an old Peavey or GK combo with enough power to sneak by. It seems like the logical choice to get something so you're ready to go when the time comes to get into a group, but IMO you'd be better served to just stick it out with the very bare minimum (and work on the playing first) and save up until it's time. I'd bet you can find something very close to you for $20 that will work just fine until then.

4. diogometalhead

diogometalhead

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

I cannot see anyone playing Metal with a 25W amp and an eight inch speaker. for practice in a bedroom yes but it will not cut it with other folks playing along.

7. basscooker

basscooker

Disclosures:
    Owner, Chopshopamps.com
    That amp is fine, and gets some love around here. But; I still think you can do just as well shopping used, and spending like $15-$20 on any old 15 watt guitar combo. Just respect the speaker and don't turn it up high. Even at 25 watts, just about any drummer will totally bury you. Even a 10 watt guitar amp could cover you up quite easily. I think most folks would agree that getting the chops is way more important for you right now. You might even be alright getting an interface for your smartphone and doing it through earbuds for a while.

8. basscooker

basscooker

Disclosures:
    Owner, Chopshopamps.com
    Where are you located?

9. Major Softie

Major Softie

The amp you've linked to is an excellent little practice amp, but worthless for anything else . . . unless you can plug it into a PA.

If all you want is something to hear yourself in your bedroom, that Ampeg is perfect. If you want something that you can also rehearse with, then you need to spend a lot more money, or shop very carefully and spend a little more on something used. You probably want something over 100w even for practice with a metal band, with over 200 being better. Bass frequencies take a lot more power for the same perceived volume than guitar frequencies.

10. diogometalhead

diogometalhead

Danbury, Connecticut

11. basscooker

basscooker

Disclosures:
    Owner, Chopshopamps.com
    Guitar Center, in Danbury has:
    (1)Zoom 505 fx pedal (yeah, it's for guitar, but it has headphone output) for $29 (item #109835759). This can get you started woodshedding.
    (2) Behringer Ultrabass BX1800 (IIRC that would mean 180 watt) combo amp for $149. (item #109888535). It's no Rolls Royce, but it could get you started towards something that would handle a group.

There's also this:
    http://nwct.craigslist.org/msg/4289152890.html
    It is a bit above your budget, but is another example of a starting point for playing with others, and the price is undoubtedly negotiable.

That's just a few minutes of searching, so there's bound to be more stuff in your backyard. I still think just getting a little practice amp is the best way to go, but it isn't my call ;) Good luck, and welcome to the bass world.

12. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

I thank you for taking the time to do that quick search! Kudos to you. :D

13. bgavin

bgavin

OP, unless you are in a burning hurry, read a lot here first.
    If in a burning hurry, then caveat emptor.

After reading, BUY USED.
    Read the TB classifieds to see what is "main stream."
    Right now, a lot of Genz gear is up for sale.. problems or the future of Genz... who knows.

$100 won't pay for a parking ticket in a big city.
    Don't expect $100 to buy anything other than a micro practice amp, or something with Big Problems.
    I see a lot of Gallien-Krueger (GK) used gear in Craigs List.
    Consider their Backline series of amps and cabs.
    These are Hecho in China, but is quality design and equipment.

In your place, I would look for a Backline amp, and 2x10 BLX Backline cab.

14. NeonVomit

NeonVomit

Get whatever small practice amp to learn how to play properly. Behringer, Ashdown, Peavey, whatever... anything with a speaker will work fine. In the $100 range they're all basically the same. You'll end up keeping it, I still have my small practice amp.

When you get more serious about playing and you actually join a band with a drummer you'll then make the arrangements to buy whatever amp you feel is best for you at the time.