1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Buying new tuners?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Tupac, Dec 28, 2012.

1. Tupac

Tupac

Noob here, never customized my tuners before. How would I go about buying them and finding the right ones for my bass? I'm looking for a light pair for my Sub Ray4. Do I need a different sized tuner for each string by any chance?

2. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass Supporting Member

Hipshot makes replacements for MusicMan style tuners, which if they're the same as their American versions, should fit without any modification to the bass (screw holes align and the size is the same). I don't know what the weight difference is.
    Hipshot HB1

If you really want weight savings, their Ultralight series are smaller and lighter, but you'd have to drill new screw holes and the ones from the existing tuners would be showing or you'd have to plug them up.

If I am not mistaken, MusicMan uses Schaller BM series tuners on their American Stringrays and Sterlings (Sterling model basses, not the Sterling by MusicMan instruments) which are good high quality tuners. Again, I don't know the weight.
    Schaller BM