1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Buying one of 3. Input please.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ronin614, Feb 21, 2014.

1. ronin614

ronin614

Hi,
    I'm considering buying one of three basses and I would greatly appreciate some input.

The first is a lefty Schecter Stiletto Studio 4, the second is an early 90s Peavey Fury (American made) right handed that would be played inverted and the third is a Japanese made Aria
    Pro II Thor Sound TS-650, also played inverted. Yes I realize that these are VERY different instruments.

Does anyone have any experience with any of these?
    How is the tone? Build quality/durability?
    I'm looking for a good overall bass that can cover several styles of music, ie classic rock, maybe (MAYBE...) a little jazz and probably even less funk.
    My current toy budget is limited to about $300 and these seem like interesting options for the price.
    Any and all input is GREATLY appreciated.
    Thanks,
    S-

2. Bassisgood4U

Bassisgood4U Banned

I've owned a 1992 Fury. It wouldn't make a good inverted lefty. The knobs would be in the way, and it's kind of a beginner's bass.

3. gjbassist

gjbassist Supporting Member

I am left handed but I'm so glad I started playing right handed when I was a kid. What a pain to have to invert a right handed bass IMO. The Schecter would be my choice not only because it's already left handed but also because they are nice basses. If the price is good then I would get it.

4. Salamenster

Salamenster

You should try them and buy the most comfortable one/the one with the best feel. Tonewise, I think the Peavey would be your best bet, then the Aria en last but not least the Schecter.

Not sure how to incorporate the inversion-factor, though. :(

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. ronin614

ronin614

Thanks for the responses. I was wondering abt the knob issue. The only one that I have the chance to try is the Aria Pro.
    The Peavey is $150. The others are $300, but I'm willing to pay that if they give me what I want/need.
    Have any of you tried the Aria Pro? It's pretty hard to find sound clips of it.

7. ronin614

ronin614

I tried playing righty. For me, the fretting part is actually easier and I can use my non-dominant hand for it. Weird...I know.
    That's why I'm considering the inverted thing. It is a pain, but it definitely opens up the options.

8. redhed

redhed TUBE LOVER! Gold Supporting Member

Get the Schecter! A lefty should play a lefty!!

9. Bob C

Bob C

My first couple of guitars and basses were upside-down righties. But nowadays there are lots of lefthanded instruments available in all price ranges. Why not just shop around?

10. Itzayana

Itzayana

I have owned 3 Aria basses over the years and IMHO they are really good instruments.
    Also owned a Peavey Foundation at one point in time and that too was a very good instrument.
    But I do tend to agree with redhed. A lefty should play a lefty and not a flip.

11. ronin614

ronin614

Yes, there are lefty basses now, but a lot of the cool, older, inexpensive, high quality stuff never came in lefty. So if you want to own one you have to be willing to adapt.

We're lefties. We're used to adapting. If I made it through spiral notebooks, smudged pencil all over my hand, not being able to use erasable pens, right handed desks and never being comfortable while using scissors, flipping a righty should be a breeze. :)

12. Bob C

Bob C

I definitely get your point. I'm still looking for my old inverted Gibson EB-0L, which I heard is floating around Mpls/St Paul somewhere.

I didn't realize the basses you listed were rare pieces, so to speak. I have a lefty Foundation. Wasn't there ever a lefty Fury?

13. ronin614

ronin614

Not really rare, just not lefties.
    Haven't found either left handed. Plenty of righties of them though.

14. GretschWretch

GretschWretch

It is an ancient bassist and he shoppeth one of three.
    "By my long grey beard and glitt'ring eye, which shall my new bass be?"

15. TinIndian

TinIndian

If it was me, I'd go with the Schecter. It's a nice bass and it's a lefty. You can always change pups and preamp if they are not to your liking. Just makes sense to get something that actually fits you.

16. Lot lizard

Lot lizard

Of those three I say shector as well.

17. PortlandBass77

PortlandBass77

Peavey Fury's are amazing quality and built like a tank. Personally I only like Schecter's for metal or hardrock style and I have never played an Aria Pro. I don't know about the inversions though.

18. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

That Aria Pro II Thor Sound is a very nice, top-of-the-line instrument. Much nicer than the others you listed. Exceptional build quality.

19. Winston TK

Winston TK Hairpiece Adventurer Supporting Member

I have to add my 2 cents to Turok's opinion here.

The Aria Pro II TSB-650 is absolutely supreme. A fantastic instrument on all counts. It's the very top of the line of the Thor Sound series. Mind you, it is a medium scale bass, so factor that into your consideration here. Exceptional, high quality neck-through construction, killer pickups, and a good variety of sounds. It's heavy, though. Another consideration.

I own one and it is one of the stars of my collection, which includes other fine examples of early 80's Aria/Matsumoku craftsmanship and electronics.

20. StuartV

StuartV Out of GAS!! Supporting Member

I've had 2 Schecter Stiletto basses (a 4 and a 5) and have a Fury. If they were both same handed, I would take the Fury, even at the same price. With one requiring you to play it flipped, I don't know.

A P bass will definitely play ALL those kinds of music that you mentioned. If you want to know how it will work to play it flipped, go to GC and try pretty much any passive P bass they have. The control layout is pretty much the same.

I've never even tried an Aria Pro, but they do have a great reputation. I'd buy one over a Schecter, just based on the rep.

21. curbowman

curbowman

Schecter are very good instruments. And being lefty means it's gonna be balanced.

For $300, all that's in ebay is an Ibanez SR300L. You can always upgrade the pickups and tuners later:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ibanez-SR-S...y-/291091230890?pt=Guitar&hash=item43c663b0aa

Remember that you must be able to play comfortably. With a lefty bass, knobs won't be interfering with your forearm, the strap will be placed in the correct place to balance the bass (with no neck dive), higher notes will be easier to fret, and the cord will be on the lower side instead of trying to get under our armpit.

And again, Schecter are good instruments.