1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Buying radio time

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Bunk McNulty, Sep 3, 2013.

1. Bunk McNulty

Bunk McNulty Supporting Member

Anybody here do it? I'm working with a local NPR outlet that plays a lot of rock/roots/blues stuff. They offer to read your listing on the air, but I want a real ad spot with music. I think I'm going to have to go to a commercial station for that. I used to be a DJ, and I know I haven't got the chops to self-produce a broadcast-quality 30 second spot. What do I ask for? What's a reasonable rate to pay for a station-produced spot?
  2. jugglingfreak

jugglingfreak

That depends on a lot. The station, the market, listener-ship time of day,etc.

Work at a radio group of several stations. Price for running a 60 sec spot runs anywhere from $3 to $500 per airing.

Obviously the low end is for our lowest rated station in the middle of the night and vice versa for the high end.

Production itself will be roughly $600 - $800 depending on what you are having done. It shouldn't be more than $1000 unless you are doing something crazy and want high-end voice talent.

Best, just contact the station and ask to speak to the sales dept. They will be more than happy to help (they do work on commission, so just keep that in mind..)

Hope that helps a little..
  3. Stick_Player

Stick_Player

Can you buy a position on their play-list?

Would seem more effective, in that you are getting airplay (along with the big-boys), instead of pleading for record sales through an advertisement.
  4. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

I recommend a lot of research before spending money on radio advertising. I looked into this a long time ago and I don't see how it would be cost effective for most bands.
  5. Vince Klortho

Vince Klortho

Not legally.
  6. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

For a 30 sec radio ad (unless it’s a big event, I’d go with 10 sec ads - it’s cheaper) find a local commercial recording studio that does jingles etc, also some radio stations will do it all for extra $$$ - if your were here in Sonoma County, CA I’d recommend giving Blair at Zone Recording in Cotati, CA a call. After you have the cart - just get you checkbook ready and call the stations that you want it played on and ask about cost, time slots, package deals, hosting, etc - rates very. And or also check with some local advertising companies, IE, if you were here in Sonoma County, CA I'd recommend calling Chris at Vinson Advertising in Santa Rosa, CA (they have and get major TV/radio block rates). Anyway, have fun and good luck.
  7. Stick_Player

Stick_Player

Yes you are correct. Not like it stops anyone, though.

There are ways around it - trades.

I did something like this years ago. We bought promotional items from the radio station (tour jackets, mugs, posters), in exchange for radio play and involvement (performances, on-air interviews, meet-n-greet, etc) at various radio station promotional events.

In the end, we realized most of the money (cash) was going into the pockets of various key people at the station and we never sold that much product.

Same with record stores -- you had to "buy" rack space. Never sold enough product to pay the monthly rent.

There are ways around direct exchange of cash. But, in the end, you cannot compete with the handful of major labels - they have way more money than you.