1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Buying stuff at amazon - good idea or not?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by GlennW, Mar 1, 2014.

1. GlennW

GlennW

I haven't bought much through amazon, a few books and that's about it.

I want to get my son a hunting knife for his birthday, and amazon has the best price I've seen.

I'm concerned with blems, seconds, MIC copies, etc. Does amazon sell the "real" stuff?

As foolish as it may sound, I feel safe with ebay and their Buyer Protection.

2. nogoodwithnames

nogoodwithnames

Amazon is amazing. I try to stick to items sold by Amazon and not third-party sellers, but even the 3rd parties are generally very good.
    I will say that I have 1 time received an item that was very obviously a return from someone else (package was taped shut) but there was nothing wrong with the item itself. And between my wife and I we easily order 100+ items a year from amazon.
    Their return policy is pretty much no questions asked, so Id say go for it.

3. hdracer

hdracer Supporting Member

I have never had a problem with them or their third party sellers.
    A friend of mine moved all of his sales from ebay to Amazon as a third party seller.

4. JacoLesFlea

JacoLesFlea

good idea I use them quite a bit.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Gaolee

Gaolee The Fat Violin

I am conflicted about buying stuff from Amazon. They have first rate goods and fast shipping. But, they have had some well publicized problems with the ethics of the business practices. Aw, to heck with it, I still buy all kinds of stuff from Amazon.

7. bassestkkm

bassestkkm

Gotta agree with all of the above. I've ordered textbooks, music gear, home improvement stuff from amazon. As for instruments I'll save that for the store and then maybe used if I like it. Mics Knives cables shelving materials all on amazon and they're really reliable

8. nashvillebill

nashvillebill

I quit buying off of ebay years ago, instead I go to Amazon. Never had a problem.

9. nutdog

nutdog Supporting Member

Amazon is safe but addictive. Side effects include finding what you want almost immediately, multiple options, user reviews and never wanting to walk into a store again.

10. DogBone

DogBone

11. GlennW

GlennW

Thanks a lot, guys.

This has to be a TB/internet first. Everyone agreed on something.

12. Papazita

Papazita

13. Steve

Steve

Amazon sells stuff..and there are companies that sell stuff on Amazon. The difference between those two approaches can be fairly large as far as your buying experience but by and large Amazon has been an excellent source for just about everything. I do business there when it suits my needs without any apprehension.

14. ZenG

ZenG

They have good selections and all of the above........

But their prices are generally higher than elsewhere.

For instance....an item that you can buy for 200 dollars will be sold on there for 249 dollars.....and they will tell you you qualify for "Super Saver" shipping...which you might be...but the shipping is already factored in the price.

15. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

I buy tons of stuff through Amazon.

For business, since I work at a university it's GREAT to buy through them - they don't charge sales tax and that saves me hours of arguing about getting sales tax removed and then getting revised invoices.

For my own purchases, they are often the least expensive, especially for items over $25 when I can get free shipping. I buy a lot of used books through Amazon, because I can often find paperbacks for one cent plus $3.99 shipping. That's about half the retail on most paperbacks. Amazon does a consistently good job, and the merchants (and people) who sell through Amazon have always shipped promptly and accurately.

16. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member

Amazon is eating all other merchants alive, online or not, which could be considered a bit sad but their service is second to none.

I once had an issue with a motherboard. They sent me another one right away, with the return package for the old one in the box. The deal is, you have 30 days to send the old one back, or they bill both.
    It makes their service faster than material shops.

17. spade2you

spade2you

I buy a good amount of stuff through Amazon. I've started to order non-perishable food items local shops don't carry. Haven't had any problems.

18. JimK

JimK

Big Amazon buyer here, too...CDs, DVDs, Books, Jumbones, Muscle Milk, Liquid Vitamin-C, etc.
    I recently bought a "$40 Flashlight" for $5 just to see what arrived. Looked the real deal to me; I ordered 5 more & passed them out to co-workers.
    I'm a Prime Member (2-day Delivery). See below.

Of late, though-
    This UPS SurePost method of delivery is BS.
    Essentially, UPS starts the delivery...then hands off to the USPS for the last mile?
    Looking at the Tracking Data, UPS will get the package in my neck of the woods in 2 days...then the hand-off to USPS. So, 2-Day Guaranteed Delivery becomes at least 3 days.
    My last order arrived 5 days after the Guaranteed Delivery Date.

Not the end times...but, just sayin'!
    :)

Oh, yeah, the Auto-Rip thing is great.
    I have had a few issues with albums/certain songs not being ripped into my Cloud...just call & they fix it ASAP.
    Great Customer Service, IMO.

19. Demon_Hunter

Demon_Hunter

Love Amazon for all the reasons stated above. One thing I went ahead and did was sign up for the Prime service. Free 2 day shipping on practically everything plus access to their version of netflix.

20. paste

paste Supporting Member

These days I pretty much exclusively shop Amazon. Last time I ordered something from them, the product was defected and they sent me a replacement in first class mail. It doesnt get much better then that.

21. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive Supporting Member

Media:
    Pay for "free" shipping and retailers will usually give you the absolute cheapest service levels.

As for Amazon, I shop through them more than anywhere else for most non-bass related expenses. Last order was a pair of pants, two CD's, and some shampoo. With the exception of the shampoo, none were available locally and I still got great prices. Been a regular shopper there for years without any issues they couldn't correct.