1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Buying things for Christmas that people would use on a daily baseist

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by InsaneBassninja, Dec 16, 2013.

1. InsaneBassninja

InsaneBassninja

My Mom and Dad don't really ask for much. Maybe its something what they would use ever day. This year my Mom wanted a big coffee Mug. Well the largest I can find. My Farther wanted only socks in his size. Now I got my brother and his wife a day pass to the rec center and put everything into one box because I don't want to waste Paper. I think the over all I spent was 30 dollars at the most of this year. Who else as made under 50 dollars as well?
  2. bassinplace

bassinplace

Me. I don't buy or receive presents at Christmas. I don't have kids, so there's no reason for me to. I see my family, have fellowship with them, break bread and call it a year.
  3. InsaneBassninja

InsaneBassninja

Really that is how it should be anyways.
  4. tplyons

tplyons

Under $50? No way.

My brother and I use Amazon wish lists... more or less things we want but probably would never get around for buying for ourselves, like rare books, first editions and whatnot.

We try not to go too far over $50 on each other... usually means one nice thing for each other and something small and goofy.

This year I gave everyone a $25 Kiva card as well, so they can get introduced to the idea of micro finance, something that has absolutely fascinated me lately.
  5. C.Linton

C.Linton Supporting Member

Well, last year I got my brother, who's a smoker that was constantly running out of matches, a Zippo lighter along with some flints and fluid. Now, Instead of running out of matches, he runs out of flints and fluid. :meh:
  6. agent77

agent77 Tin Foil Hat Wearer Supporting Member

Under $50? No way. I spent about $1200, the majority going to my two nephews.
  7. Milk

Milk Supporting Member

I spent 150$. This is the most i ever spent on xmas gifts. It's just one too, for my gf (who will likely say i spent too much and say i should return it...which will offend me a little). We don't do gifts in my family. Well unless sometimes my mom feels like it and decides to buy me something, which generally means her saying "why don't you get x and i'll pay for it". she sold her house this year so told me to shop for a washing machine (mine is broken). My dad sometimes will give me money for xmas (or say to not repay him whatever money he most recently lent me.... like i'm giving him back 600$ by January in two payments and i'm hoping he'll say to forget about the last one...)
  8. two fingers

two fingers Loud Mouth Know It All Blowhard Gold Supporting Member

Nothing wrong with giving. Nothing at all.

I spent a crapload more than that. But it has been fun this year more than in years past. I love giving stuff away. And this year I was able to find some stuff I think people will actually enjoy. Good times.
  9. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive Supporting Member

I would purchase a grammar and spelling checker.
  10. bmc

bmc

Some pretty sad responses here.

Christmas is about giving. We go nuts at Christmas. I'll probably drop $1,000 by the time I'm done with gifts and charities. Giving fills me up.
  11. InsaneBassninja

InsaneBassninja

thank you for the comment I know my grammar and spelling is crap. Least its better than someone's else I know of.
  12. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive Supporting Member

Maybe they sell them in discount bulk. Never too late to try and be somewhat discernible.
  13. InsaneBassninja

InsaneBassninja

That is ture but, someone may not need anything for this year. Really its Family that matters. (I juse need two tires replaced on my car. :spit:Damn snowly weather)
  14. Immigrant

Immigrant Supporting Member

That's called "Downward Social Comparison", and it's not really a bad practice. Think of it as the opposite of "the grass is always greener…".

It works for me whenever I go to my Orthopaedic surgeon's office. I used to go there and feel like life sucks due to my condition, then see someone a whole lot worse off.
  15. InsaneBassninja

InsaneBassninja

Moving along now, I thought about getting my Mom a coffee mug that was 10 inches tall and 7.5 inches wide. Which it wouldn't fit in the microwave so desired not to get it for her.
  16. Bass_Thumper

Bass_Thumper

I love Christmas and birthdays and any other holiday where we can give gifts to the ones we love. I also fully believe in giving stuff at random throughout the year because it makes people happy. Give what you can to make folks happy whether your budget is $50 or $5000.
  17. electracoyote

electracoyote

I spent over $100 on my students alone. I am a sap come Christmas time.

But the wifey and I got each other a Keurig coffee maker for Christmas. Can't use it until December 25th...I'm so excited!
  18. Ironbar

Ironbar

It's interesting that you bring this up. When I was much younger and my parents were alive, they would pretty much say the same thing. And I could never understand it- I mean, who doesn't like getting gifts?

Now that I am much older and I have kids of my own, I now see where my parents were coming from. There simply came a time in my life where I just didn't WANT gifts anymore. Oh sure there are still things in life that I strive for. I'd like a new bass someday, a new car, new amp., etc. But right here, right now, at this point in life, I'd be just as happy NOT getting anything for Christmas!
  19. bassinplace

bassinplace

I give. I just don't buy material goods for anyone. I donate to charities and to my friends and family I give my love and companionship. If someone else sees that as wrong or sad, I might suggest that the point of this arbitrary day we call Christmas is being missed.
  20. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME! Supporting Member

You mean that whole "Yay, the sun isnt going away forever, as we can see the days begin to grow longer once again" point? :smug: