1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Buying used amp, maybe peavey combo 115

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by pat5150, Dec 25, 2012.

1. pat5150

pat5150

Alright folks here's the deal: I've got a budget of $200 for a used amp. $100 of that is in the form of guitar center gift cards, so it has to be from their used selection. My criteria are that it be as powerful and nice as possible, haha. I found a peavey combo 115 that might work. I was also thinking about a TNT 115 but there aren't any on GC's used inventory at this time. Thoughts?

2. bluelineman

bluelineman

I held out for an Ampeg. You can search on GC website for used gear at stores near you. Wait for what you are looking for, it will get there eventually.

3. Tuned

Tuned

Yorkville and Peavey offer the best bang for the buck in terms of volume and reliability

4. MNAirHead

MNAirHead

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. HillBillyWannaB

HillBillyWannaB

7. MoeGJBeener

MoeGJBeener Supporting Member

Look for a used ampeg ba115. I swear those things are little monsters!

8. HillBillyWannaB

HillBillyWannaB

I was considering that one too. Great sounding amp without a doubt, if you're looking for something to keep up with a band at a rehearsal or small gig, I think the Ampeg is a bit underpowered. The Peavey blew it out of the water volume-wise. Just my experience with the two amps, the BA115 was what I initially thought I was going to get.

9. RobRWA123

RobRWA123

I was just looking for a practice amp that doesn't sound like a "practice amp", something maybe you could even bring to a small rehearsal & play small gigs, for between $2-300. I tried several: the new Peavey MAX 115; it looks great on paper, 300 watts for 300 bucks, TT, chromatic tuner built-in, etc., but I didn't like and couldn't find a warm sound out of it. Lots of plastic on top, very disappointed. Sounded ratty. The whole MAX series was like that. But the old 115 that it replaced was on sale for $220, sounded much better, even though only 50 watts had near similar loudness. Also plugged in to the new Peavey TNT, completely different, back to HI sound quality, 400 watts, at $450 probably the best in that price range, definitely gig-ready. Also tried the Fender Rumble 75 watt, it was great, str8forward quality, and the 90-watt Behringer also sounded pretty good, but "music shop guy" said Fender [5-Year Warranty] stood by their products better, and are better overall deal, both were ~ $230 brand new. Ended up finding a used Hartke A70 on Craig's list for $200, & I love it. :hyper: