Buying used Neck Through tips?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Matthew_84, Dec 28, 2013.

1. Matthew_84

Matthew_84

Hello TBers,

I've purchased different used bolt on basses before and I do my own setups and I am comfortable with all of the things I should check for in a bolt on bass purchase.

I may be checking out a used neck through bass in the near future and would like some tips on if there's anything extra I should be looking into, and if there are any signs of possible issues down the road that I could look for?

I've never even seen a neck through bass in person so I'm very green in this matter. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks
  2. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Supporting Member

Pretty much the same checklist.

It's just that if the neck-thru DOES have a neck issue (twist or warp) you won't be able to just swap out the neck for another one.
    Just look carefully at the neck, check the truss rod, look for any high spots or weirdities.
  3. pfox14

pfox14

Neck throughs are a great design to begin with. Very solid and sturdy. Typically, fewer neck issues. I would want a bass that I really enjoy playing whether it's a neck through or bolt on.
  4. Nephilymbass

Nephilymbass Supporting Member

My advice is to look very closely at the area where the neck meets the body. On neck through basses the truss rod(s) and any neck reinforsement rods stop before they get to the body. If the neck is bowed passed the end of the truss rod it might as well be firewood. The trade off IMO is neck through ussually has a smoother neck joint that more comfortable when playing really high up the neck but to get that comfort your sacrificing stability
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Matthew_84

Matthew_84

Thanks everyone for your help so far!

That is great advice, thank you. Any idea approximately how far from the body the truss rod would end?
  7. NecroticImbecil

NecroticImbecil

[​IMG]
  8. WoodyG3

WoodyG3 Supporting Member

I don't understand your point. This is no different at all from a bolt on.