Buzz sound

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Dan_Lie, Jan 20, 2014.

1. Dan_Lie

Dan_Lie

Hello ,
    Since i am totally newbie i would ask for a help.
    I don't have a cable atm , so i am practising my bass ampless.
    It's quite silent and i can barely hear a string if i don't use my fingernail to pick it. So , i noticed that when i want to play something , i press the string with my left hand and pick with right. But , i don't get a "good" sound , i just hear a good tone and in the same time i hear some buzzz noise because my string is touching the fret. Is it normal?(Common when playing without an amp) Or is it broken?
  2. pfox14

pfox14

Well, you really need to get an amp. The buzzing is probably "fret buzz" which can disappear when you play the bass amplified. It's much more noticeable unplugged. If you are still hearing a lot of fret buzz with the bass amplified, then you have problems with the setup (basically how the strings are sitting on the bass). In that case, you'll need to get a setup done by a repair shop or learn how to do it yourself. Hope that helps.
  3. mambo4

mambo4

Unplugged fret buzz is not worth worrying over. Only what's heard when plugged in needs to be addressed. Poor setup and poor technique (fretting in between frets rather than right behind the fret) ) are the common causes of fret buzz. But a big plus 1 to getting an amp, or a headphone amp.
  4. Dan_Lie

Dan_Lie

Wait , i shouldn't put my finger between frets?
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. KeddyLee

KeddyLee

Yes and no. You put your fingers between the frets but not right in the middle. Your finger should be right behind the fret, almost touching the fret.
  7. Dan_Lie

Dan_Lie

Oh thanks , i was pressing in the middle lol. Well, fret buzz is a lot quieter now . Is it normal to have it or i need to do a setup?
    (Still without an amp)
  8. pfox14

pfox14

Sounds like you could really benefit from getting some lessons.
  9. KeddyLee

KeddyLee

It's pretty normal without an amp for two reasons.

1. You are digging in a little more, plucking harder so you can hear. String vibrates more (which is to say wider) so it hits the frets.

2. You are vibrating the string and the string will also vibrate (a little) between the nut and your finger. This will definitely hit the frets but the pickups don't pick it up, obviously, so it won't go through the amp.

Play with a small amp and you should be good.