Buzz when Bass is close to body

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by penguineman, Dec 21, 2013.

1. penguineman

penguineman

Ok guys heres the deal I picked up a really nice Fender Jazz here a couple weeks ago. I only played it a little bit the day I picked it up from a buddy and then a little bit after I got home. well tonight I got it out hooked it up and started to practice some well when I get it close to my body it starts a buzz or humm like a RFI problem but if I push it away it quits. I didn't notice it either time I played with it the day I bought it. now here is a question could the wires in my chest be making it do this I have a bunch of wires holding the center of my chest together plus 4 stents in there also allof which are surgical stainless I'm assumming. most all of my basses are really quiet using the same amp and cord. am I going to need to shield this bass in all the cavities?? ok here is a little about the bass it is passive pickups MIM Jazz. all stock nothing has been changed really nice Bass.
  2. mrb327

mrb327 Just say No to Tort Supporting Member

Since your other basses dont do this, I would guess it is only this bass.
    Does it get better or worse when you touch the bridge, pups, strings?

Might just be missing one of the ground wires inside from the bridge or to the body
  3. RBS_Johnson

RBS_Johnson

You may need to shield it. Not sure about the stainless surgical stuff, but I would`t see how it would effect the bass if it isn`t producing any signal? I have a bass I have to leave my cellphone out of my pocket when I play it. The control cavity sits right above where my phone sits in my pocket, and it buzzes quite a lot. :rolleyes:

-Jake
  4. penguineman

penguineman

the buzz stays the same when I touch the bridge or strings. I dunno I found it kinda weird though that when I'd push it away it'd quit making the noise. if it was a active with a battery in it and had power on it I could possibly see it having a problem but I'm at a loss for words on this one. I may try a different cable on it tomorrow and see if there is any difference but as I said I didn't notice it any at my buddys place or here at home when I first brought it home that night. but tonight I hear it and nothingf has changed in my room where I practice and play. I'll have to order some copper shielding foil next week.
  5. mrb327

mrb327 Just say No to Tort Supporting Member

Keep us posted
  6. Rich McCoy

Rich McCoy

Yeah that is something I get sometimes with my single coiled J too.
    Sometimes it can be worse at different times of the day, and it changes as I move the bass different directions.
    Sometimes EMI radiation is stronger than others. I don't really get it either.
  7. penguineman

penguineman

I figure I'll order a couple rolls of copper shielding and try that. I was looking at the top of this pickup forum but the one about shielding that they have pinned up at the top of the thread the pics have been deleted. I was kinda wanting to see what all and how all they did it this will so far (knock on wood be the only Bass I'll have shielded) I had read where they had soldered all the joints and stuff where the copper met and stuff like that and was really curious if that was all necessary. has anyone tried the shielding paint?? how well did it work or does it work? was curious about that also I was also wondering if a guy could find one of the old copper or brass strips like they used on the early old Fenders or maybe I can just make one but would like to see how it was made and exacatally how it fastenes atthe bridge and the bridge PU. just kinda looking at all the possibilities.
  8. BlueTalon

BlueTalon Happy Cynic

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Turnstyle Switch
    Skip to the last three pages or so of that shielding thread. There's a link to where someone stored the pictures, and some other info as well.
  9. bassbenj

bassbenj

Does the hum go away or get less if you touch "ground" (control plate, jack body etc.) If it does that means the bass needs shielding AND the ground wire to the bridge is disconnected.

If the buzz stays the same then it may be "single coil hum". Does the hum go away when BOTH pickups are turned up full? If so, that is it. Note that single coil hum does NOT change when you touch ground but DOES change when you change the position of the bass. By trying different orientations you may find a place where hum is "nulled". That is a true test of single coil hum.

Trying different cords, amp etc. can't hurt either.