1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Buzz with new La Bella 760 fl

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by fivaras, Dec 21, 2013.

1. fivaras

fivaras

Hello everyone

I just purchased La Bella 760 fl for my Fender Precision (Mexican made). I get a full rich sound which is so amazing. But I seem to have an issue with my g string. if i pluck it a bit harder (not even close to Flea's plucking) it buzzes on the next fret. I got the bass set up and i discussed the issue with the technician. He said that the bass is properly set up and the issue remained even though he raised the neck high. So I'm guessing that (a) my plucking technique is somehow wrong, not fit for flatwound strings or (b) the string is faulty. I also have to mention that the g string sounds a bit different from the other strings, it produces a weird sound as if it has some chorus, i don't know if this is normal. Has anyone had similar experience? I am frustrated because the strings were really expensive.
    Thanks

2. phangtonpower

phangtonpower

Try to see if the string is twisted. loosen the string and try to straighten it out.

If it still sounds different, it may be a dead G string. Email La Bella, they may send you a new one. I had a new G string break on me. I contacted them and they sent me a new one.

3. fivaras

fivaras

Thanks I will try this. But I got it from Thomann. Would they be able to send me a new string? I live in Greece.

4. Dave Curran

Dave Curran Lilduke

Raise your saddle up a quarter turn. Doesn't take much at all to go from buzz to no buzz on G string. When I start a new setup, I go to the 15th fret and play to the 18th evenly up and down frets, also going up and down strings. Thats so I keep the strings even across the fretboard. I adjust the saddles so that light playing results in no buzz on any frets, and med playing results in just a hint of buzz on the next fret, that also stays even going up the frets. I then plug it in and do the same thing, but this time I am adjusting the pick-ups to balance out the volume between strings.

Note, this will not eliminate buzz from >12th fret. That's where the truss rod, and shims come into play. Providing frets are reasonablly level.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. fivaras

fivaras

I have raised the saddles too when i was with the technician. No matter how high i adjusted them, the buzzing on G string wouldn't stop if i plucked hard. And not only when i play higher than the 12th fret. It buzzes even on the 3rd fret. That is why i'm guessing that there might be something wrong with the string.

7. Dave Curran

Dave Curran Lilduke

Or the nut got filed too deep. Fret the 4rd fret, but right in front of the third fret. Push on the G string on the first fret. There should be between .3~.4mm gap. I guess by tapping on the first fret and listen/feel for the gap. (not plugged in.)

Edit: brain fart.

8. donn

donn

Going by your description, no. Does it feel any different, much weaker or softer than the other strings?

9. fivaras

fivaras

It does not feel any different. It's just the sound of it. At first i though it was normal (this chorusy sound), but after a while I realized there was the other problem with the frets. I contacted Thomann and they asked me to send them a video with the issue. It will be really funny trying to capture the weird sound with my crappy Web camera, i will try though! Thanks for the support guys.

10. Dave Curran

Dave Curran Lilduke

Take a mono guitar cord from your bass, to the mic input of your computer, will need a 3.5mm mono adapter. Record normally.

11. phangtonpower

phangtonpower

I live in Japan and they sent it to me :cool:

12. Dredmahawkus

Dredmahawkus Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I stuck a bass in my
    My mexi neck did that.....first it was the G then the D and G no matter how high I raised the action. spent money on a fret level and it was still doing it! I ended up getting a new neck. It twisted with the weather change then just got worse and worse. It was still under warranty and they sent me a new neck....the new neck was great!
    Oddly it was when I put labella fl on it too. the red silk ones.

13. mickster2

mickster2

Chorus type sound often means the string has been twisted when installing. Try taking the string off & putting it back on, being careful not to twist it.