Buzzing Bass

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by MikeKaperys, Dec 24, 2012.

1. MikeKaperys

MikeKaperys

Warning: total noob here.

Today I finished building my first custom bass, and I love it. Just one problem though, whenever I'm not touching the strings (or any other metal part of the bass for that matter) the amp buzzes? If I touch a pole piece in the pickups the buzz gets louder. Also, if I turn the tone knob completely off the buzz stops.

It's a precision style bass with passive Wilkinson WPB pickups in it. Everything is wired correctly according to the schematic from the I have. Everything is grounded correctly. I can't seem to figure out what is causing it.

Any suggestions guys?
    Cheers

2. MikeKaperys

MikeKaperys

If I add a ground 'lug' like on the Fender schematics would that solve the problem do you guys think?

Cheers

3. bumperbass

bumperbass

Bridge grounded? Make sure all grounds go to all other grounds....maybe you missed one.

4. MikeKaperys

MikeKaperys

Thanks for the quick reply!

Everything is grounded, yeah. I have no idea what it could be. Beggining to think it could be a sheilding issue, possibly?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bongostealth

bongostealth Supporting Member

Your volume and everything else works as it should? Are you getting full volume?

If so, it sounds like it could be a shielding issue. I would suggest you take it to a tech because sometimes even if you follow a wiring schematic, you will find that the schematic is still not complete in terms of grounding and shielding. A tech would know where to add extra ground wires and/or shielding.

Doesn't sound like a major problem.

7. MikeKaperys

MikeKaperys

Yeah volume works fine; the bass seems to be really loud for a passive bass too.

Will do, cheers guys!