1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. We are currently evaluating the "One Post Per Classified Ad" policy. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Buzzing G string

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by thebassbuilder, Feb 1, 2013.

1. thebassbuilder

thebassbuilder

Disclosures:
    guitar builder, Meyers Guitars
    I have a bass I built a few years ago now and it has always had a buzz on the G string. It buzzes from 8th frett to the 15th frett. I have leveled and re-leveled and even re-fret it once to try and fix it. When I was re-fretting it I even re-leveled the finger board even though it did not look bad. Still there. I know the nut is not the issue since it only happens once it is fretted. Do you think the break angle at the bridge can cause this? I also tried a lot of neck relief and no neck relief, still a buzz. Has anyone ever had a problem like this before. Also do you think there is a way for it to be the string it self? Also to let you know I have leveled and re-leveled the neck in a neck jig set up to replcate the string load. I have also done it with the neck off the bass as just a normal fret level.
  2. chiselhead

chiselhead

Possibly you have some frets that are actually moving up and down within the groove cut for them. When you are leveling you are applying pressure on them ie pushing them down as you level and they are indeed level to the pushed down position. When you go to play those frets that aren't seated properly they spring up and create the buzz when you fret above that position. This happened to me once and I chased it for weeks doing just what you have done. I finally identified the problem by pushing down on each fret and noticed movement in a couple of them. The fix is to remove the offending fret, fill the slot with super glue and recut the slot. I hope this helps.
  3. thebassbuilder

thebassbuilder

Disclosures:
    guitar builder, Meyers Guitars
    Great idea! Thanks for the info. I will check it out and see. Thanks again.