buzzing issue help please

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by duke808, Mar 20, 2014.

1. duke808

duke808

hi i know there are so many threads on here about this but I'm just getting confused so...
    I've just a got second hand squire precision of a friend cheap no strings. i put the g string on to see if pick ups worked.they don't seem to. but there is low buzzing and when i touched any metal loud buzz. i checked and cleaned bridge and ground wire and its still the same. when i disconnect bridge ground the only buzz i get when i touch is the volume pot and i can just faintly get a sound through pick ups. all the wires seem secure and got a wiring diagram and they look in the right places. the amp works fine with my other bass....any ideas?
  2. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

There is a hum that gets louder when you touch metal/strings/bridge? That indicates a grounding issue. Side note, if the noise goes away when touching metal it is a shielding issue.

I would double check the ground wire under the bridge, add a strip of copper foil under the bridge if possible to ensure better contact. Otherwise just ensure the ground is connected to the electronics well.
  3. duke808

duke808

there is also a black wire connecting copper plate under pickups to volume pot
  4. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

What kind of Squier do you have that they installed brass plates behind the pickups? I am guessing there is one pushed into the bottom of the control panel as well. The brass plates under the pickups are not for grounding, they are supposed to work for shielding.
  5. duke808

duke808

6. duke808

duke808

shall i do anything with the brass shielding wire then?
  7. DiabolusInMusic

Leave it connected. It should all come back to a common ground. I have only seen the brass plates in my jazz bass reissues, I leave them in even when I do a proper shielding job. I ground them all to the same common point with the ground from the bridge.
  8. duke808

duke808

i might replace that bridge ground wire also. any ideas on what sort of wire to use?
  9. duke808

duke808

thanks its worked i've also shielded as much of the cavity as possible
    cheers again
  10. DiabolusInMusic

Awesome. Glad I could help. I hate when my basses hum.