1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

buzzing - tone pot issue?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by ack, Nov 23, 2012.

1. ack

ack Supporting Member

Hey all,

Kinda new to all this, but I'm tring to troubleshoot a wiring and/or electronics issue on an old P/J.

I have a P/J (V/V/T) that was acting funny - severe volume drop when on full and some other electronic issues. To make a long story short, I just had a P/J set hand wound for me and went to drop them in tonight.

When I plug everything in, I hear a very loud hum (almost a buzzing) that only goes away if I touch any of the 3 knobs. Touching the strings, bridge or output jack doesn't change anything.

I opened it up and checked all the solder joints. I can get the buzzing to go away if I move the capacitor around a bit. Thinking it was broken, I replaced the cap (.47uF) with a new one, but the problem persists. If I touch the lug that the capacitor is soldered to, I can hear a distinct change, and sometimes a popping noise.

Is it possible that the Tone pot itself (250k) is causing the issue?

Thanks in advance for any useful advice.

2. ack

ack Supporting Member

problem solved - mods can close this - thanks.

3. NYCbassist

NYCbassist Supporting Member

So what was the problem?