1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Buzzing when I touch active pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by ridethespiral, Dec 20, 2013.

1. ridethespiral

ridethespiral Supporting Member

I searched for a while about this, but only found information about when people touched the knobs or strings so please forgive me if this has been asked many times.

When I touch the pickups, I hear a buzzing sound. This is quite a problem because my palms and thumb often touch the pickup when I'm playing. This buzzing goes away when I touch the knobs, but not when I am touching the strings or bridge. They are active EMG 35's.. I've looked inside and all solder joints seem solid. There is a ground wire that isn't used (for the bridge) but that's to be expected as you don't ground actives from what I've read.

Perhaps someone could give me some pointers?

Cheers.
  2. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

now that's weird!

i'm sure the pickups are grounded, or they wouldn't work. (still, it's worth it to check, that the pickup braided leads and the backs of all the pots connect to each other, and to the sleeve of the output jack.) is there cavity shielding in the bass, like graphite paint? be sure that stuff is grounded.

finally, there's no reason you couldn't hook the bridge ground back up, that doesn't affect anything and would make your problem go away.