1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Buzzing?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Sorrowspell1995, Jan 10, 2013.

1. Sorrowspell1995

Sorrowspell1995

Okay, this isn't a technique issue with pressing down on the frets, before someone even brings this up. So I tuned my bass down into Drop C today, and I'm getting buzzing on notes, particularly on open notes or 1st fret. I'm wondering, is this an issue with my strings? or maybe the action? *This is the first time I tuned my bass into Drop C, by the way*
  2. Art Araya

Art Araya Supporting Member

Your action may be too low for the drop C tuning. The strings are looser than they are in E tuning. You may need to raise the action on your bridge saddles.

But first take a look at your neck relief.
  3. Jay2U

Jay2U Not as bad as he looks Supporting Member

If the tension is very low, it is possible that you hear the string's construction buzz. Especially strings with a round core can do so. Another possibility is that, also due to low tension, the string buzzes on the saddle.

What is the gauge of the string(s) involved?
  4. Sorrowspell1995

Sorrowspell1995

Okay, I wondered if that was the issue. Thanks for helping. Kind of an ignoramus when it comes to repair, so forgive my asking, but neck relief?
  5. Sorrowspell1995

Sorrowspell1995

And the gauge of the strings, I'm actually unaware of. See, it's new in my collection. If you happen to know the gauges of the default bass strings that Schecter ships with, then I have those on there.
  6. Jay2U

+1 Neck relief also comes into play, caused by lowering the tension. If that's the case, the buzzing should be absent above fret 6.
  7. Jay2U

Standard gauges are too thin for drop C tuning. Over 40 pounds of tension drop to just over 25 pounds, which is well outside the playable range. :meh:
  8. Sorrowspell1995

Sorrowspell1995

More or less, yeah. The buzzing appears to be absent around that area.
  9. Sorrowspell1995

Sorrowspell1995

So you would suggest then that I get different strings? Any recommendations on that? I should mention that I play a 5 string bass, and the lowest I'll generally go is Drop A.
  10. Jay2U

Oh, is it a 5-string. Then it's not drop C what you did, I suppose. The normal tuning for a fiver is BEADG, so the gauges of the strings should be okay. What we need to know is which tuning you'd like (for each string). If it's standard BEADG, I'd expect something like 0.045, 0.060, 0.080, 0.100, 0.125.
    For an A-tuning I'd use 0.135, then it's still tunable to B.
  11. Sorrowspell1995

Sorrowspell1995

Well, I use a few different tunings, I like a lot of different music. I'd basically like to be able to play EADG, DADG, CGCF, and AEADG, if possible to accomodate all of those. On the tunings listed where there are only four notes listed, these are obviously the four highest strings, and I don't care at all what my low is. It would just make sense to kind of keep it locked on A.