1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

BX1500 on the way

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by gearhead1972, Sep 20, 2013.

1. gearhead1972

gearhead1972

Just ordered this baby, can't wait. I have been playing through a Carvin MB10 with a 112AG extension. It has done me well, but the keyboard player on the other side of the stage was always saying I can't hear you. So for now I will be running it through the 112AG and and Delta 12 in a slot ported cab.

My plans are to do a fearful 12/6 and 12sub in the future. I will be doing that a little at a time. I plan on getting the 3012LF first then a 3012HO and put them in the cabs till I can get the flat packs.

Anyone play the BX1500 through a 12/6 12sub combo?

2. jnewmark

jnewmark Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Play guitar.
    I have'nt played one through that speaker config, but I've been using one for about a year, now, and it is my fave bass head of all time. Very versatile head, with all kinds of EQ options, goes down to 2 ohms, great compressor, crossover, etc. Best bang for the buck, imho.

3. Bulldawg82

Bulldawg82 Supporting Member

You are going to love it! I've had one for just over a year and it is the best amp I've ever owned.

4. 5port

5port

OP bought it for $100 less than I paid and I love mine. It easily upstages the old R-line Carvin made. Pretty long product cycle now on the BX1500.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. TigerInATrance

TigerInATrance

Haven't played through that speaker cab, but you've purchased what is arguably the most versatile bass amplifier available and deserve congratulations on a great choice. Do yourself a favor and take a good long time to familiarize yourself with the controls...

Anyhow...

Kudos sir... Enjoy your amplifier!

7. gearhead1972

gearhead1972

Pretty much the same controls as my MB10 but with the added GEQ and one more PEQ control.
    Thanks!

8. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

My rehearsal/party rig is the MB10 sitting on an Avatar SB112. Does the job (with great tone) but we're a 3 piece band with a small PA and play to the drummer's acoustic volume, so it's plenty.

My big gig rig is Carvin BX1200 into a DRB 1260 (12" 3-way) and a DRB 112LF (12" sub). Even on loud stages I never go past 4 on the AMP1 + AMP2 while keeping the DRIVE at noon and the MASTER at noon, so less than half. KILLS.

You should get similar if not better results with your rig. I do however like having a seperate volume knob for each cab though because some stages are boomy while others are concrete. Your rig's gonna smoke.
    :bassist:

9. gearhead1972

gearhead1972

Well, well, well. This thing rocks, came around noon today and spent a good 4 hours playing through it. You guys are definitely right, the amp is so versatile. I also just ordered a second 112AG cab. I need some small cabs since when I gig I also own the PA and have to fit it all. So I will go with that combo till I get a bigger car for bigger cabs lol

10. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Wait until you stack those fEARfuls under that baby cuz you'll bring the house down. The second 112AG will be a nice addition though. Decent, affordable cabs.

:bassist:

11. thekyle55

thekyle55

There are a few people that play Carvin amps through Fearfuls and like them. I really want to try a BX1500 or B2000 through my 66.

If you're going that route, don't buy the speakers. The LF won't sound good by itself, and the HO has no place in a Fearful cab, not even a sub. If I was you, I'd concentrate on getting the 12/6 finished, then add the sub. You'll be astounded at what a 12/6 can do by itself.

12. Raymeous

Raymeous

I've had my Carvin BX1500 for a few years now and I have had zero complaints with it.

I run mine through the Carvin BRX 10.4 Neo cab (35Hz-18kHz)and it sounds beefy as **** with those fun low B's/A's. Carvin amps are very Hi-Fi and wont get you a growly overdriven Ampeg sound, but if you prefer clear articulation with plenty of note definition then the BX 1500 wont disappoint.

Have fun and enjoy :bassist:

13. gearhead1972

gearhead1972

I will take that under advisement, I know I could build the cab from the plans myself. I'm just not up for it at the moment. I built 3 cabs last year and a telecaster from scratch, just don't feel like doing it right now lol.

I did pull the Delta 12a from the slot ported cab tonight and put an old Rockford Fosgate HX2 DVC sub into it wired to 2 ohms plugged into the low side, and the 112AG on the high side. Man that really shook the house. I know it won't be ideal for a live situation, but I just had to play around and hear the 750 watts. There is just something that kills me about building a cab with only an 8 ohm driver when this beast can handle down to 2 ohms.

Like I said before I really need 2 small cabs to fit in the car with all the PA gear, and at this time even a 12/6 maybe too big. I have rehearsal this weekend with a new band. I am going to leave the RF sub in that cab and see how it sounds with the whole band.

Somedays I wish I didn't get so involved in the PA thing, so I could just buy/build whatever size cab I need/want. But I have been staring at the PA gear in the Carvin catalog since I was 12 years old and went to IAR for live sound in '91 so I guess it's in my blood lol

14. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

I'm running with the previous model, the big-iron BX1200, and a pair of Baer ML112's. Set flat the EQ is a little bass shy and treble accented, but a little bass boost gets everything right where it should be. It's a HORSE.

15. gearhead1972

gearhead1972

Yeah I am definitely more of a Hi-Fi kinda guy, love it so far. :hyper:

16. Raymeous

Raymeous

The "SVT" sound works great for a one guitar, one bass rock bands. For that genre it is the ideal set up.

However I am one of those knuckleheads that plays a 6 string bass more often than not and I need as much clarity as I can get out of my rig. My main rig is about as "piano-like" as you're going to find and I LOVE IT!! :hyper: