1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

BYOC are doing bass pedals now..

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by AngryPig1, Feb 20, 2014.

1. AngryPig1

AngryPig1

Has anyone seen that BYOC have started doing bass pedals now? I got myself their tubescreamer clone a few months ago (and havent built it yet) but now wished I'd waited and got the bass overdrive.... its got a blend and a 2 band EQ which would have been much more useful.

This is supposed to be my first build does anyone know if it sounds good on the bass? its called the 855 i think. or if not is there an incredibly easy and well documented mod for it?
  2. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

Tubescreamers seem to be a love/hate thing for bass. Some say they work well and others disagree. With a blend they can work very well. On BYOC's site is does say that the 855 has more low end than a typical TS pedal, so you may just want to build it as is and see how you like it.

As for bass mods, check the BYOC forum. They are pretty good about having a lot of well documented info with pictures.
  3. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    John K Custom Basses
    I built one of those and it was horrible, so IMO, you're not missing out on anything. the blend control didn't work well at all. I also tried modding it but I still couldn't get a good sound out of it. IMO, the circuit is a very poor design.
  4. AngryPig1

AngryPig1

thanks bassgod0dmw I'll have a litte search on the BYOC forum. or I may just build it 'as is' as its my first attempt and if its no good for me i'll swap it with my guitarist or something....or cherish it forever like a proud and clingy parent

Johnk is that the bass overdrive with the poor circuit design? (rather than the 855) if so thats a bit of a relief.
  5. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    John K Custom Basses
    it's the bass overdrive, not the 855. I haven't built the 855.
  6. AngryPig1

AngryPig1

thanks. well hopefully i'll make a start this weekend!
  7. JBTucci

JBTucci Supporting Member

Have any of you guys tried their Octave Divider? I guess it's a clone of the old Mutron unit and from what I've heard on RUKind it's spot on. It's been tempting me for a while.
  8. Jly56

Jly56 Supporting Member

I just ordered the BYOC Bass Chorus pedal last night. I'll post a report when I get it finished and tested. The selection of bass pedals is still pretty slim, but the proprietor says that more pedals will come in 2014.... So we shall see! :bassist:
  9. giglawyer

giglawyer Supporting Member

I ordered one and have it on the shelf to build. I will post something when I do.
  10. Denver Max

Denver Max

Ordering a starter kit soon. I was gonna get the scrambler clone, but now I'm not sure. Does anyone know how it handles bass? Or if there are any mods to help with low end? I know there's one that makes the octave more pronounced.
  11. giglawyer

giglawyer Supporting Member

You could socket C1, and play with the values. It starts at 100n, so its probably got enough bass coming in for the desired effect. But you could swap in a 220n and see if you like that better. Not sure that I would go higher than that.
  12. Jly56

Jly56 Supporting Member

Check out their forum for mods you can make to various pedals for better bass. You can also post a message about mods. Many of the techs will answer the post.

Here's the link. http://byocelectronics.com/board/