BYOC Scrambled Octave Ampeg Scrambler clone

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by stonehenge, Feb 5, 2014.

1. stonehenge

stonehenge Supporting Member

Thanks in part to Talk Bass, over the past few years I have become a full blown pedal addict! I also have a fascination with pedals that do weird things and are possibly not too useful in the real world? with that in mind I decided to try and build a clone of the Ampeg Scrambler a bass octave fuzz that was originally produced in the late 1960s. The kit was from B.Y.O.C (build your own clone) and was fairly easy to build even for a novice like myself with no effect building experience. I thought that others might be curious about it so I decided to make a short demo type video, so here it is!
  2. VerryBerry

VerryBerry Supporting Member

Nice Demo! Very interesting sounding pedal. (And cool Ric copy too.)

Got a Zoom B3 awhile ago hoping it would nullify any buying of discreet pedals, but videos like yours are drawing me in.

And just checked with my Canadian distributor of BYOC kits - it's $70 USD or $80 CAD - not bad.

Might just have to try one very soon. It's a slippery slope. . .

Thanks for posting.
  3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I don't see why that pedal never caught on. It's a great pedal. Kind of reminds me of the Roger Mayer Octavia. Wish they'd reissue it as I could probably get one for very low cost if they did ;)
  4. P Town

P Town Guest

Why don't you just build yourself the clone?
  5. Swift713

Swift713

That's a nice tone, warmer than the Pollyanna.
  6. onosson

onosson

Nice sound, but would have liked to hear the bass mixed hotter than the drums.
  7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Because my soldering sucks.
  8. stonehenge

My soldering was not great either, I watched a tutorial on the byoc site that really helped my soldering skills, there is a rumor floating around that Ampeg is bringing back the Scrambler in some form or another .
  9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Well nothing was said about it at NAMM. They've already reissued it once and it didn't do well either, so they take that very much into consideration. Personally, I think today's market would eat it up, but it ain't my money on the line.
  10. Swift713

Swift713

You can get pre assembled kits from axe and you shall receive. There's a link at the BYOC site.
  11. J_Rock

J_Rock Supporting Member

Great job on the video, the pedal, and the playing. I am seriously tempted to build one.
  12. stonehenge

Thanks! It was fun to build, interesting to see what really goes into putting one together.
  13. VerryBerry

Jimmy, you could order the pre-built BYOC Scrambler from here. (Go down the page to the list of pedals - it's the 4th one in the list.)

$105 USD, although there would be shipping and other cross-border charges, but still probably not too bad.
    Depends how much you like the tone.
  14. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    John K Custom Basses
    yeah. the scrambler is a pretty cool pedal. I built my own on a vero board and it sounds great. I also added a couple of other features to it

[​IMG]

I also built a tycobrahe Octavia which is a completely different circuit and sounds great, but nothing like the scrambler. I added a pregain to it so I could get even more tones out of it:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

IMO, the Prescription Electronics COB is another cool octave up pedal:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also built the Roger Mayer Octavia (yet another completely different circuit) that also sounds great on a bass. it's a new circuit that was designed to sound like the original tycobrahe only better, but haven't boxed that one up yet.
  15. stonehenge

Wow! Cool stuff!
  16. VerryBerry

JohnK - Checked out your pedals page. Very extensive and impressive!
  17. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Every day is Christmas at the K household ;)

Would have thought the Scrambler and Octavia would be more similar than different, though. Oh well, I don't build them...I just play them. I leave the geniusing up to you guys.