1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

bypass switch help

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by JIO, Nov 26, 2012.

1. JIO

JIO Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    I want to install a bypass switch for an Aguilar OP-2 V/blend/T/B preamp. I got a double-pole/double-throw on/on mini-toggle switch and basically understand this;

To get true bypass means you're removing the preamp from the path between the pickups and the jack. If the preamp has integrated volume and tone controls, and these are the only volume and tone controls in the bass, then you will have to wire the pickups to the mini-toggle so they split out one way to the preamp and the other way out to the jack directly.

If the volume and tone are not integrated with the preamp circuit, and the pickups are wired directly to the pots, and then the pots to the preamp, then you would put the wire that goes from the pots to the preamp on the switch, and the other side of the switch would go directly to the jack.

Now.., I just need to know exactly how to make this concept a reality. I would love if someone versed in such would show the Aguilar OP-2 preamp diagram and modify it to add in the switch so it is very clear.

As a further complication, the preamp harness I recieved is not wired exactly as in the diagram, which s readily available on-line. My actual preamp has the left pole of the Volume pot first attaching to the pot itself, and then routing to the left-top pole of the blend pot.
  2. sconix

sconix Supporting Member

3. JIO

JIO Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe