1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

C standard 5'er

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by TheAngryPocket, Feb 8, 2014.

1. TheAngryPocket

TheAngryPocket

I'm in a metal band that plays in C standard. I have a 35" bass with Dean Markley Blue Steels Med. Lights 45-128. Would it be ok if I tuned that bass up a half step without any readjusting setup? Also, if I plan on buying another C standard 5 for a backup, but 34" scale, what string gauge would be recommended for that? Thank you:bassist:

2. jamminology101

jamminology101

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Glockenklang
    Why bother when you can just play low C on the first fret of the B string????

3. TheAngryPocket

TheAngryPocket

Because that's not what I'm asking.

4. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    Yes you can tune that set up to C-Standard. It is going to be a little bit higher tension than most would like, but if it works for you great! if not, get lighter strings for the EADG strings, .128 is great for C

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    AFM 72-147 union card-carrying liberal academic musician
    For centuries, stringed instrument players have enjoyed the freedom to tune as best benefits their Art. Are we any different?

7. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

+1

8. TheAngryPocket

TheAngryPocket

9. GK Growl

GK Growl

It amazes me how many of you are unaware of the techniques relating to specific styles of music. The OP says they play METAL. Not jazz, not new country, not pop....METAL. This probably means that there is a lot of open note chugging with quick fretting on that lowest string. This would absolutely suck having to finger the note in the first position. To the OP, a .128 will probably sound great in C. I have tuned a 135 up to C and it sounds really good. Bryan Beller (Dethklok) tunes a 135 Prosteel up to C and it sounds massive.

10. bgressman82

bgressman82

for a band i was in for a few years, i used a lakeland 5 string tuned to c standard with a 130. worked great.

11. Sahe_Bassist

Sahe_Bassist

thanks for asking, i was curious as well about tuning a 5'er up a half step for c standard. ill probably try on mine tonight just to see how the tension is on the strings i have on my 5'er are. if they are too tight, would thinner guages be less tight at the same tuning?

ie -
    im using - EB Regular Slinky: .045 .065 .080 .100 .130
    say i tune them up a half step and they are too tight.

if i put on EB Super Slinky: .040 .060 .075 .095 .125
    would this help balance out the tension after tuning a half step up?