1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Cab Advice

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by beobass, Sep 18, 2013.

1. beobass

beobass

I'm trying to make some decisions in a cab for my Genz Shuttle 6.0. I had to sell my Markbass CMD121 for financial reasons last spring. It was a good amp but I never got a solid upright tone out of it. Eventually replaced it with a GB Shuttle. Now I need a cab. There are a couple in my price range and I wanted some feedback from your experiences since I'll be buying sight-unseen. I am playing a WW2 era German no-name ply bass with a Realist Soundclip and Helicore Hybrid strings (might go back to Zyex though). Options are Aguilar GS112NT, Agi GS210 and possibly Epifani UL310 or UL112. I'm leaning towards Aguilar over Epifani but what would you guys go for. I play mostly theater and jazz. Mostly pizz. And i still do electric bass so I'm thinking about a crossover amp. Thoughts?

2. lowEndRick

lowEndRick

hey beobass

i checked out your profile to see if your info could help me to better understand your situation. I see you are using a Peavey 215. Any of those cabs (although I haven't tried any of them; I have heard some of them) will be much better than what you got. Those Peaveys can be pretty harsh for double bass.

I am no expert by a long shot, but it seems cab technology has really moved along recently and many players are opting for much higher end cabs like the Greenboy designs...fEARful, Crazy8. Or Audiokinesis TC. and others....But these cabs are bit beyond your price range.

Some better options in your price range might be a used Wizzy 12. They come up often in the classifieds. e.g. I have no affiliation or interest in this ad but thought you might be interested to see http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f145/ea-wizzy-12-mline-cabinet-1011002/

I owned the Shuttle 6.0 for a while and liked it a lot. The main cab that I used (and still use) was a Schroeder Mini 12. This pairing really sounded great. If interested call Jorg and he'll hook you up. Its about 20 lbs and sounds extremely natural and can get quite loud if needed. Also works well with BG. I have no affiliation or interest in this ad but thought you might be interested to see http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f127/schroeder-mini-12-l-1011928/

I sold the Shuttle to finance a new Acoustic Image Coda. I love the transparency of the AI products.

btw.....happy birthday.....also saw that in your profile

3. beobass

beobass

Thank you for the BDay wishes! And thank you for the advice. I've learned towards Agi b/c many ub players seem to use their stuff. I'm wondering if a GB head would be a disservice to that cab though... funny thing.... I don't see too many using GB cabs unless they are combos.

4. geoffbassist

geoffbassist UK Double Bassist Supporting Member

+1 on the 12" wizzy mline cab. I love mine and whilst it's not the perfect bass guitar cab, it sounds so good with double bass.

I would also love to try the Big E cabs Mike Arnopol is making, but don't know about the cost. There's a huge thread in this section will all the info.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Doug R

Doug R

Get a couple GK neo cabs, like 2-10s. Light weight, sound good, not to expensive. Take one or more to gigs, depending on how big/loud you'll need. My Shuttle 3.0 sounds great into a single 210-neo and those neos are light and easy to carry. Big place? Bring two cabinets - maybe a 210 and a 1-15.

7. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Disclosures:
    Setup and repair/KRUTZ Strings
    I'll put in a plug for an Acme B1. Although I prefer the portability of my Crazy 8, the Acme sounds much better to my ears.

8. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

+1 There are quite a few players, who use the Low B1 here in St. Louis, because they really do sound great with Double Bass, and for their size and weight put out a lot of sound. Ken Jung had one that I messed, with for awhile, when he lived here in town. They weigh 31 lbs., but their so small, that it's easy to move them around.

Ric

9. beobass

beobass

Thanks guys. What about the EBS Classic line or Amprg svt210?

10. Ric Vice

Beo Bass,
    Well, you can certainly use either of those cabinets, the Ampeg 210 may be better suited to Electric bass. The smaller 1x10 and 1x12 EBS Classics could work. You'll want to a look at other cabinets though.

Ric

11. beobass

beobass

Thanks! And honestly I'm not crazy amount them being made in China. I'd rather buy American made stuff when I can. I'm leaning towards buying a used Agi GS112NT from GC. This way if I don't like it I have 90 days to return it. I'd just lose shipping charges. I'm tempted by an Epifani UL310 they have too but it's more expensive and I've never been a huge fan of 10s and upright bass. Amazing for electric though.

12. Ric Vice

Beo Bass,
    Actually, I believe that Bob Gallien closed the GK production facility in China and pulled everything back to the factory in the U.S.. I played through a Epifani 3x10 and liked it, but it's got a fairly wide dispersion pattern and can feedback.

Ric

13. Lobaw

Lobaw

I've also got to give a nod to the Acme Low B1. Try and find a Tb'er local to you so you can give it a try. I prefer it to my Epifani T-112 for upright and the Acme is great for small room electric work.

14. beobass

beobass

Based on all the responses recommending Acme I went searching and found a Low B ii 210 for a very reasonable price. I'm going to buy it sight unseen. From the reviews I've seen I can't imagine I'll be disappointed. I'll post a review once I've spent some time with it.

15. beobass

beobass

Btw how can you tell the different series apart? One I've seen had the B logo in the corner shaped like a triangle. The other has a big B square. Is one series better? Thanks!

16. Ric Vice

All of Andy's cabinets are incredible. He originally built the 3 way, Low B 2(10) and 4(10), a short time later he added the Low B 1, which was a immediate hit with upright players. His more recent cabinets are the Flatwound and Full Range that use Eminence Neodymium 12's. My personal preference would be the B1 or Full Range for Double Bass. The Low B 2x10 you now have is a great cabinet, that will require your Genz Benz to drive it. It produces a lot of low end. You may also need a low cut filter for places where it's low end response may not be useful.

Ric

17. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Disclosures:
    Setup and repair/KRUTZ Strings
    My B1 sometimes has too much low end so I always use the HPF. If money were more prevalent than bills, I'd pick up another 4 ohm series II B1 because the Clarus will drive 2 ohms and one is barely enough on occasion. The new ones have eliminated the L pads for the midrange and HF drivers as well as the brake light in the crossover. As much as that may seem like an improvement, why mess with a good thing.

Regardless of version, I love my B1 and will never sell it.

18. MR PC

MR PC

Very interesting. I talked to the Acme builder once, he didn't seem like he was in any hurry to do things any other way than the way he does them. He's a lifer, I like that.

19. beobass

beobass

I'm still waiting for some updated photos of the cab from the store. There's some wear in it and before I *charge away* I want to know what I'm getting. One of the corners has a cracked plastic cap. I think $5 and a screwdriver with fix that. I just need to make sure there aren't any other issues. Hopefully today I'll see the photos and be able to make a decision. They are throwing in a speakon cable but it's going to cost me $45 shipping. :eek:

20. Ric Vice

Beo Bass,
    Acme B-2's have internal cross bracing inside, that adds weight to the cabinet, when you add a second 10" speaker it makes for a much heavier cabinet than the B-1. The advantage of the B-2 is that it's able to handle more power, and works well as a doubling cabinet. I'm sure that there are other lighter used cabinets out there, Andy's newer 112's are much easier to transport and IME sound better with Double Bass. If I could, I'd look a Acme Full Range, or a Euphonic Audio Wizzy 12. Controlling all the low end that the B-2 produces, can be a real challenge, with an upright, especially if your down in a orchestra pit.

Ric

21. beobass

beobass

Well as it turns out, I went back to MarkBass. I found (what appears to be) an anomaly at the local GC today. It was the CMD121 cab with the MarkBass MarkTube head. It boast 600w at 4 ohms. I just so happened to have my upright with me so I plugged it in... Shook the store. And after messing with the eq a bit, I got a very nice tone. Still a little harsh... But I'm pretty sure that's the Realist not the amp. I put a deposit on it. So my Genz Shuttle 6.0 is going on the market ASAP. I think I found the right amp for my needs. But I've learned a ton through this process. Thanks to all who contributed to this thread. I hope others will find and use it.