Cab Advice!!

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by SubNoizeRat3691, Nov 27, 2012.

1. SubNoizeRat3691

SubNoizeRat3691

Hey Everyone!

I popped into my local used gear store, to check out what was new, and found a Yamaha S215III cab in the bass section. I grabbed the nearest bass (dean sledgehammer), and threw a head on it (Trace Elliot 7band) cranked it up and BOOM!

It sounded great! nice and full, with a sweet top end.

asking price is pretty low, but I've never heard of it. I'm assuming its a pa cab..

So should I pull the trigger?

Anyone ever heard of this cab?

Thanks for the help!
  2. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

It's a PA cab, that isn't a crime. It probably won't cope with big amps or extended LF demands but you could gig it for years if you don't abuse it. Be prepared for some punk kid to give you **** about your dopey PA cab.
  3. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

4. SubNoizeRat3691

SubNoizeRat3691

I think I will go pick it up, Its on hold for me till next week, I just have to gather the scratch and go get it.

It's a 4 ohm cab, that's 700 potential watts thru this cab rated at 240 or so, I don't think it will be an issue, but I don't want to risk the immediate destruction of this cab lol...
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

I hope it's real cheap, brand new ones on sale at MF cheap as chips. It looks like they started playing the ratings game with the new ones.

Beware the lows and you'll be able to give the loud knob a healthy twist before it farts out. Back off when you hit that and remember not to go past when you come across guitards.
  7. SubNoizeRat3691

SubNoizeRat3691

Im in a pretty heavy band right now, guitard likes to pump the bass, so I'm scooping the bass out, and pushing the mids starting around 250hz.

I think this cab would give me a great tone with the lows cut and low mids boosted.
  8. jungleheat

jungleheat

The Trace head is probably a better buy (and probably where most of the great tone was coming from).
  9. SubNoizeRat3691

SubNoizeRat3691

I did pick up that cab today, it sounds amazing with my Corvette thru a Peavey Tour 700. Tons of volume and good tone.

picked it up for $120, score!
  10. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Put up a pic. They kept same name for a few upgrades.
  11. IPYF

IPYF

This.

Glad it sounds good though.