Cab combinations that don't make sense?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Thomas Kievit, Feb 9, 2014.

1. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Thou shall not F*** up the groove Supporting Member

So I've seen a lot of combination threads here on TB, like 2 x 10 + 1 x 15, 4 x 10 + 1 x 15 and so on.

What is a combination that doesn't make sense, like a 6 x 10 + 1 x 15 for example?
  2. Jaco who?

Jaco who?

You don't hang out in the amps section very often. Just guessing.
  3. Thomas Kievit

Well screw this! You knew it! :eek:
  4. AdamR

AdamR Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: VF Cables, Dirtbag Clothing
    Yeah in this section its a sin to mix drivers unless you have a fancy cab like a fearless. Doesnt matter if it sounds good to you.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. JellinWellen

JellinWellen

If it sounds good when you mix drivers then more power too ya, its just when people start making threads on why their 15 blew in their 210+115 combination......well.
  7. Cirk

Cirk

Mixing driver sizes is fine, as long as you have them crossed over properly.
  8. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

"properly" meaning not using full-range cabs crossed over, but rather actual sub, mid and/or high drivers.

cross the lows out of a 4x10 cab and there's no reason to drag it out of the van when a 6" mid driver would work as well if not better.

so the answer to the OP's title question here in amps is pretty much "yes".
  9. Cirk

Cirk

You are correct there, Walter. Haven't been over to your shop in a while, need to make the trip over from Newport News soon.
  10. basscooker

basscooker

Disclosures:
    Owner, Chopshopamps.com
    It doesn't make any sense to combine a cab with high power handling with a cab with low power handling if half of the amp's power is greater than what the lower powered speaker can handle.

It doesn't make any sense to combine a 4Ω cab with anything else if the amp has a minimum rating of 4Ω.

It doesn't make any sense to combine a guitar cab with a bass cab if you're running the exact same full range signal through them both.

You mean like that?

It isn't a "sin" to match unlike drivers... It just isn't going to give a predictable result. If you do it and you like it, so what? Could it be total junk? Yes. Could it work wonderfully? Maybe. Are the odds better that it wouldn't be great? No. It just isn't predictable.
  11. delta7fred

delta7fred

If you have PA support and are only using your oddball combination as your stage monitor then use what you want, just don't turn it up too loud or you will (probably) pee off the sound guy.

If you carry the house than walk out front at sound check and move round the room. If your sound is consistent then it is good, if it "comes and goes" then rethink your cab combinations. (This is how I arrived at mine.)
  12. Cirk

Cirk

It's also much harder to hear a 1x15 speaker tearing itself apart when there's a 4x10 drowning it out.
  13. delta7fred

delta7fred

I was killing time in my local music shop last week and they had a bass rig in, as opposed to the usual Marshall/Peavey/Ashdown combo, first time for months. I wandered over to look at it but lost interest when I saw it was a 410 over a 115. I don't even remember the make now.

The sad part is that one of the salesmen is bass player.
  14. AdamR

AdamR Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    My amp is stereo and has a balance knob, I can run a 4ohm 410 out of one side and a 8ohm 212 out of the other side with now issues.
  15. Bass_Pounder

Bass_Pounder

If you think a Fearless type cab is an example of "mixing speaker sizes" - then there is no hope.
  16. AdamR

AdamR Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I understand how they work. And for the record I dont use a mixed driver rig. However I do respect the opinion of others who feel they work for them.
  17. Thomas Kievit

Great answers so far! Thanks for the input people! :)
  18. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member

If you use a stereo amp so you can adjust levels separately, any combination can make sense, full range or not.
  19. Bass_Pounder

Bass_Pounder

And...............

It can also still lead to phasing problems around the room.

All a stereo power amp solves in the mixed cabs debate is the power distribution problems.
  20. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member

It can also lead to no issue. Actually it leads to no issue 9 times out of 10.
    Whenever it leads to an issue, it will go unnoticed by most people.
  21. DogBone

DogBone

Meh, cab companies and sales people have to make a living, and often just make what people will buy, whether it's "right" or not.

Ampeg knows bass amplification, right?

So obviously they didn't run this design pass the Talkbass Correct Driver Configuration Approval Committee.

The Ampeg 1540:

[​IMG]

Yes, that's a 410 over 15 cabinet by Ampeg.