Cab configuration

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Bassdep73, Mar 23, 2014.

1. Bassdep73

Bassdep73

I have just bought a TC Electronics BH500 head and a BC212 cab which is 8 ohms and 250w. I have a 500w Fender rumble 410 rated at 4 ohms. On the TC website they show cab configurations of a 4ohm 410 and an 8ohm 212. Would I Be right in assuming my Fender cab will be ok to run with this configuration? Sorry if this sounds like a dumb question but i'm sure I read somewhere that any other make apart from TC should be rated at 8ohms. Any help or advice would be great. :hyper:

2. tercesyrev

tercesyrev Supporting Member

Could be "ok" but may be a little under powered. The key question is will the amp run at 2ohms continuously. Approximate load of that cabinet combination is around 2.6 ohms ... I think

3. StraightSix

StraightSix

The TC BH500 has a minimum rating of four ohms so you will need two 8ohm cabs.

If you plug it into one 8ohm and one 4ohm you will (as tercesyrev says) be running at 2.67ohms which will probably destroy your amp.

You can only use a single 4ohm cab with that amp.

4. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member

The BH500 runs just fine at 2.67, as demonstrated by TC on their proposed setups of 3x8ohm cabs.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    It runs three nominal 8 ohm loads. TCs cabs might not be the same impedance as other manufacturers. I wouldn't run the amp below 4 ohms with other manufacturers cabs.

7. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

didn't we discover that TC's "8Ω" cabs were more like 12Ω, which was why their amp could run three of them?

8. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

They rate the amp for 4ohm. Better safe than sorry.

9. sjeverett

sjeverett

take a mulitmeter and check the impedence of the cabs, if they are actually 4 and 8 ohms dont do it. if the cabs are a higher impedence then do the math and see if its within the tolerance. I've checked speakers that were so called 4ohm to find out it was actually 8ohms