1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Cab for an Aguilar Tone Hammer 350?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Seb Peters, Jul 28, 2013.

1. Seb Peters

Seb Peters

Evening all,

I'm looking to pick up an Aguilar Tone Hammer 350, and I'm looking for a reasonably priced cab to go with it that's not too heavy (Lots of load ins/outs up and down stairs at home and venues).

This will be my first non-combo setup, and I'd like something that'll last me a while.

Cheers,

Seb

2. MtJam

MtJam

I have 2 Aguilar SL112s that I use with my TH500. Very light, sound excellent, but they are costly.

If you are looking to save some dollars (aren't we all?), I would look for used Epifani UL112s or any used Aguilar cabinets that you like.

Happy hunting!

3. Seb Peters

Seb Peters

Cheers, but they're way out of my price range!

I would love one of those Epifani cabs though...

I know it's unrealistic but I'm not really looking to spend more than £3-400.

4. KJung

KJung

Love that head. So, how loud do you need to be? Are you looking for a single 12 or 210 that can do a moderate sized gig, or a larger cab (or two small cabs) for louder playing?

What is your price target? If you are looking for a small cab like a 112 that can handle a reasonable size gig, you are probably taking quite a bit of cash.

Just to throw something out there to get you started, assuming you don't need massive volume, keep your eye out for uses Bergantino AE210. Very small 210, moderate weight, and the tight, mid present voicing really works great with the big sounding TH350. The HS210's and HD210's also sound great, smoother, warmer, and heavier (non neo).

You don't see them much, but a used Epifani PS112 or PS210 would also sound great, and they are moderate weight and price.

Finally, again assuming a single, small but high output cab would work for your volume needs, the Aguilar DB112 sounds magnificent with the TH350... punchy, warm and fat. Not light, but the used prices are pretty good.

Finally, for a larger cab that is still lightweight, a Genz Benz Neox212 would sound great with that head.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Gintaras

Gintaras Supporting Member

Surprisingly I am using a Hartke HX112. Fairly inexpensive and love the tone. What I also like about it is that I can use it as a 4 ohm cab singly or change it to 8 ohms and add a cab. Most of the posts tend to go with more of the boutique cabs but this is working quite well for me. I would like to try a Aguilar SL112 but at twice the cost I need to try it first.

Take some time and look through this post. Lots of info.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/aguilar-tone-hammer-350-a-837192/

7. Seb Peters

Seb Peters

I'm looking preferably for either a 2x10 or larger, though most of the venues do also have pretty good PA support. There's a secondhand SWR Goliath Jr III that's caught my eye, I'll have to give it a try sometime.

Cheers Gin! I'll have a look through the thread.

8. KJung

KJung

I didn't realize you are across the pond! I'm not sure about pricing, the the Barefaced cabs, run by TBer Alexclaber are quite nice and built in the UK. The '15 with no tweeter' model (can't remember the name) might be within your pricerange, is super lightweight, and has enough oomph for medium sized gigs. It is a 'bright and tight' execution of a 115 cab, and has nice sensitivity (i.e., the 175 watts of the TH350 at 8ohms will crank pretty well).

Worth checking out, and it might be within your pricerange... not sure. (Edit: Barefaced Compact is 550, so above your budget. If you see a used one, jump on it with that head!).

9. Seb Peters

Seb Peters

The barefaced do look pretty good, I've been thinking about one of them for a while now, though they are a little over what I want to spend.

I'll keep looking for a while.

Cheers!

10. trjazzluva05

trjazzluva05

I have 2 Epifani PS112's and I'm looking to buy the TH 350, mainly because its cheaper and more so in my budget. I play gospel, R&B and Rock. I also have the TH pedal and TLC Compressor which I would use to give me more headroom....anyone think this would work out for me or should I just save up and get a TH 500????

11. ljazz

ljazz

I've been playing a TH500 through a pair of GK Neo 112's for the last couple of weeks. While they are not one of the super 12's, they are resonably flat sounding and take eq very well. You can really hear the effect of the drive knob, and a couple of them will give you enough volume for most gigs.

I'm not sure about prices across the pond, but here in the US, you can buy two gk's for just about the same price as a single new aggy db112.