Cab for Bassman 50?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by zorneatsham, Aug 30, 2011.

1. zorneatsham

zorneatsham

I have the original 2x15 cab that came with my '74 Bassman 50. As expected it sounds awful (boomy and lacks definition) and it's hardly portable. I'm interested in a reasonably priced, more portable replacement cab, as I love the head. In fact, my friend used it to great effect on guitar, played through the speakers of a 60s Twin Reverb. I'm thinking a 2x10, or possibly 1x15, for better portability. I tend to like a tighter, more trebly sound. I also use a lot of effects. What would be some good 2x10s to try paired with my head?

2. dhsierra1

dhsierra1

would you consider dropping in better drivers into the current 2-15 as well as stuff the cabinet? I believe the Eminence Legend CB-15(8) is a good choice for that application. Still gives you that old school 2-15 sound but much clearer and tighter. Cost you around 250 for both.

Won't do anything to improve portability, though...:meh:

Just my 0.02

3. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

That's the small cabinet with the drivers in a diagonal pattern if it is the original Bassman 50 box. Way too small for a pair of fifteens.

Just about ANY modern cabinet would be better. The Avatar TB153 comes to mind.

Edit: See Bill's post later about the problems with my suggestion for the TB153. I gladly yield to Mr.Fitzmaurice's experience and knowledge.

4. dhsierra1

dhsierra1

I'm presuming the linear version, ie one driver on top of the other, have never seen the diagonal version. In the "linear" edition there's plenty of volume for two CB15s in sealed format.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. zorneatsham

zorneatsham

It's a 2x12. I made a typo. It's the diagonal, square cabinet.

7. dhsierra1

dhsierra1

oy, you could look into dropping some new 12s in there but you'd have to do the modelling on something like WinISD to see if there's a chance.

Like the previous poster said, a lot of good modern cab choices. Avatar and GK's top line neo's are where I'd personally look first if DIY isn't your thing. You could also shop used, just depends on your budget.

8. zorneatsham

zorneatsham

I'm also limited by space, so I would be inclined to get rid of the original cab. Is it a good idea to separate the set? Would there even be buyers for just the cab?

9. dhsierra1

dhsierra1

You might want to PM JohnK as he's a whiz at updating older gear. I know he dropped 4 of the Eminence DeltaLite 2512s into a 4-12 Ampeg V4 cab w/great results. He might also have some good suggestions on good modern cabs for your Bassman. Used to have a '72 but I put it through 2 EVM 15s. Not terribly portable, but definitely sounded good IIRC.

10. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

A Bassman 50 by '74 was sold with the small 2x15 cabinet like the one here...
    Bassman 50 : Amplifiers : Cabs : York Music Shop

The speakers are mounted diagonally to get a smaller cabinet. It's a little larger than the size of most new 4x10, except not nearly as deep.

John

11. dhsierra1

dhsierra1

you're right, my bad, thanks for the correction ;)

12. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice

Disclosures:
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    That's actually one of the last cabs you'd want to use with a Bassman. It doesn't have adequate sensitivity, specifically the lack of a midbass response peak that's very much a necessity with low powered tube amps, and there's nothing to be gained from its high excursion capability with less than 300 watts, let alone fifty. This is a case where a sealed cab or two is probably best, and I'd put a pair of Ampeg Micros at the top of the list.