1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Cab for GK 700RB-II

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by urhovaldeko, Jan 9, 2013.

1. urhovaldeko

urhovaldeko

Hi. I recently bought a used Gallien-Krueger 700RB-II head, can anybody recommend a suitable and good cab to go with it. I'd prefer a budget one as the head kind of drained me. My knowledge about ohms and watts is almost nil.

I found GK 212MBE from Thomann, which should be suitable and is in the ballpark as well. Ideas?

2. TinIndian

TinIndian

I used a Hartke HyDrive 410 with mine and really liked it. I've always liked a GK head with a Hartke cab combination. Found mine used for about 350.00.

3. lowendfriend

lowendfriend Supporting Member

I use the gk neo 212-II with that head and absolutely love it. Rugged, light and powerful.

4. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    +1 Beat me to it! :D

Even a single Neo212-II (at 8 ohms, even) is great with that head. Throw a second Neo212-II or a Neo112-II on top, and it'll do a lot of stage. :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :cool:

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Gotta P

Gotta P

I like the Ampeg SVT410HLF Classic paired withthe 700RBII. GK heads lean toward the bright side and the Ampeg cab has lots of bottom. Good combination (to me anyway). The SVT410HLF Classic is 500 watts RMS, 1000watts peak and is 4 ohms so you can't add another cabinet to the 700RB head. With the 700RB you can use one 4 ohm cab. or two 8 ohm cabs...the ampeg cab should be easy to find used, so you could save some money that way.

7. Chef

Chef Moderator Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    The GK700RBII has the horn management system; which to me, is the whole reason to buy one, over an MB series head.
    So, personally, I would recommended whichever of the Neo Series cabs you prefer, so you can take advantage of that feature. They're fairly cost effective as well.

8. Muttleybass

Muttleybass

Neo 410 or Neo 212 would be my choices.

9. Chef

Chef Moderator Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Neo410 v Neo212:

The 410 is substantively larger and heavier. It's also voiced fatter down low, which leaves the impression of being a bit mid scooped. The 212 is more even, and maybe a bit mid forward by comparison

Both nice choices.

10. urhovaldeko

urhovaldeko

Thanks a lot for your suggestions. I guess I'll have to save some money then, rather than opt for a cheap cab.

11. B-string

B-string Gold Supporting Member

The 212MBE does use the same neo 12" drivers as the NEO212 II so it is not a bad cab at all (smaller so not as bassy or maybe as even sounding). You could add a second cab later like the NEO212 II.

12. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Yes. The cab is the one component on which less experienced players most typically scrimp...and its the one component on which they never should. It really pays to go for quality - not necessarily at great expense, but for the best cab(s) you can possibly get. :meh:

MM

13. urhovaldeko

urhovaldeko

14. JGBass06

JGBass06

Disclosures:
    DR Strings/GK Amps/Nordstrand Pickups/Igig Cases
    To me the the Neo cabs are the best option to go with any of the GK rb heads. As they have the bi-amp or full range option switch on the back of each cab. Also I'm not a big fan of mixing head and cab brands, I feel each company makes their gear to work at its best when it's played together. Save the money man you get what you pay for.

15. JGBass06

JGBass06

Disclosures:
    DR Strings/GK Amps/Nordstrand Pickups/Igig Cases
  16. urhovaldeko

urhovaldeko

Understandable, it would be a temp option, but I need one ASAP for rehearsals and can't cash out money for Neo or alike. I'm just wondering if it would work ... Watts and ohms aren't my best friends.

17. B-string

B-string Gold Supporting Member

The power handling is fine for the amp head and is an 8 ohm cab so you can add a second cab if you need more volume.

18. urhovaldeko

urhovaldeko