Cab for small/medium size venue

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by ChristineMFer, Jan 14, 2013.

1. ChristineMFer

ChristineMFer

So I have an Ampeg SVTII and Ampeg 8X10. I love this rig, it sounds great but I would like to have a smaller cab for small venues. I should also mention I have an SVTIII. The guitarist in my band has a Bogner 2X12 and Egnator TOL50 he's using for the small gig. Any recommendations on what to get? I'm currently using a Ampeg 15 and an SVTIII for my small rig and it's just not cutting the mustard. My thoughts are Avatar 2X10, 4X10, 2X12 or there's a used Eden 4X10 on craigslist for $500. Ideally I'd like to keep it under $500 if I can. Thoughts?

Also, I'd like to have the option of playing my SVTIII or SVTII the SVTII runs at 2 or 4 ohms, the SVTIII runs at 4 or 8ohms so I'd need a 4ohm cab.

2. BawanaRik

BawanaRik Supporting Member

Make sure the Eden is a D410XLT with the original speakers. You get a sound that cuts and it also gives you volume.

This cab will make most folks happy.

3. Doug R

Doug R

Check out the Gallien-Krueger "Neo" cabinets. Lightweight, sound good, a joy to lift and carry. No more big bass cabinets for me. Smaller & lighter, and if you need bigger, bring two or three of them. I have the 210-N and use it alone for 90% of our gigs anymore. Usually, if I need more "oomph", I just run a line to the mixer and get some boost from the main PA bottoms.

4. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

The 8x10 takes no more stage space than a 4x10. A 2x10 really struggles to keep up with a rock band. Besides a couple 8x10's I have a pair of Ampeg SVT210AV 2x10's (26 lbs each) and a pair of GK 212MBE 2x12's (34 lbs each). One of the latter can keep up with a reasonable rock band. A 4x10 would be a more "normal" choice :) .

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. obimark

obimark

Personally I play with 1 15, and anytthing more would be big enough to go through some PA.

But the other cabinet that I like is the 212 setup, usually a good compromise of weight to output, and will get louder than a 115 if it is good quality.

7. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

I find a 2x12 setup is good enough for small to medium (250) sized gigs. After that I would want PA support anyway since stage volume would get too high.

8. Big_Daws

Big_Daws

currently i am using a TC Electronin BG250...this amp has surprised both myself and my band, and most other people in respect to how much push you can get from it along with how great it sounds...

i should also mention that i did test this amp against the GK & Ampeg equivalent, and for sound, features etc, this amp IMO was better.

best $450 i spent...