Cab for the Ampeg PF-500

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Connor Elliott, Dec 2, 2012.

?

Which cab should I get with the PF-500?

Poll closed Dec 12, 2012.
  1. Ampeg-410HLF

20 vote(s)
    47.6%
  2. Ampeg-410HE

12 vote(s)
    28.6%
  3. GK 410MBE II

10 vote(s)
    23.8%
  1. Connor Elliott

Connor Elliott

Hey everyone. My combo isn't cutting it in my band, so I need to upgrade. I have been looking into the PF-500, and it seems right up my ally! I just love that Ampeg tone. I have been looking into three different cabs, but feel free to suggest a different one.

1. Ampeg-410-HLF

2. Ampeg-410-HE

3. GK 410MBE-II (4 or 8ohms, 400w, or 800w. I wouldn't be sure of which one to get.) It is also the cheapest of the three.

I play a Fender Jazz mainly finger style, but I may use a pick depending on the song. The band I play with is influenced by 80s alternative/post-punk, but with a modern twist. Similar to Interpol, The Strokes, etc. We have two guitars in our band also.
    These cabs are not available for me to play at my local GC.

I have searched previous threads, but didn't really find what I was looking for. Thanks!
  2. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender and Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    I've used the HLF and the HE. I find the HE to have more punch and they also seems to cut through the mix better.
  3. backup

backup

from your three choices i think the 410HE will do better

personally i would suggest PF 115HE cab to match the head.they are designed to compliment each other and they do so very well
  4. Rockbassist4

Rockbassist4

Agreed but part of being heard is the ability to move air. A 410 will do this better than a 115.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. backup

backup

yes.
    also may i add that i recall the SVT 410HLF having quite a mid scoop. mid presence is a more crucial part of being heard than moved air ime
  7. Connor Elliott

Connor Elliott

So the 410HE will be a good standalone cab? I have read a few things saying it is meant for having another cab in addition to it.
  8. JWP

JWP

Love my 115he...will be adding a second one soon...
  9. pastorjamesc

pastorjamesc Cheap Ability, Expensive Taste Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner/Operator of Cotten Patch Sound Design. I do sound design, resetting, and education for churches, organizations, and small venues with no Sound personnel.
    I have a 410he with my 350pf...when that's paid for I'm planning on getting a 115....then maybe I'll have to find a big place to play..LOL
  10. Connor Elliott

Connor Elliott

How do you like it?
  11. rpsands

rpsands

I'd look at a Hathor from Audiokinesis.
  12. joelb79

joelb79 Supporting Member

I feel that the 410HE is a better match for the PF-500. I doubt that you will have a problem hearing yourself and that will slice through the mix like a hot knife through butter. Every time I try this head with a wide/deep voiced ported cabinet it just doesn't have the same great tone it does through sealed back cabs. The voicing is more suited for sealed cabs or cabinets voiced for more mids or less deep tuning. I also think the PF-500 sounds best through ceramic magnet speakers.
  13. Connor Elliott

Connor Elliott

Thanks for the info!
  14. VanillaThundah

VanillaThundah VERY enthusiastic walks... Supporting Member

Media:
    +100000

A brutally mid-scooped cab will give you nothing but inarticulate rumble and clank like pennies in a tin can. Amongst two guitarists and a drummer you will not be a happy camper. Have you considered getting two 1x15 or 2x10 PF cabs? The added height will make it a lot easier to hear since one of the cabs will be closer to your ears. Not to mention, two of those cabs will be easier than carrying around a heavy 4x10 cab. If you're just going for something loud and efficient with good tone then get an Avatar cab. They are quite reasonable on price but sound great and pump out serious air. My Carvin BX500 through an avatar 2x10 EASILY outplays my guitarist and drummer with the master volume at 3.
  15. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Because it's 8 ohms? Nah. You can use it standalone as easily as any other 410.

It's my choice out of your choices, too. The 410hlf just goes too low for my tastes, whereas the 410he sits in the mix just how I like it...like half an 810.
  16. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I don't hear the 410hlf as mid-scooped, at least not the newer ones. I hear them as having a big huge low end response, though. I guess by comparison some might call it mid scooped, but I really don't hear the lack of mids with it.
  17. Basstardus

Basstardus

I loooove my 410HLF, more lows than a 810 or 115, and the mid scoop, well you have an EQ to correct this :)