Cab suggestion for Aguilar

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by NewGuy, Aug 19, 2013.

1. NewGuy

NewGuy Supporting Member

I've noticed many Aguilar rigs that include 2 SL112 cabs. Those cabs are awesome. So my suggestion is...it is time for a 4ohm SL212!

Maybe if we get enough people to agree with me this cab will be introduced at NAMM 2014! :D
  2. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    If they were to build a 212, I think an 8 ohm cab would make more sense.
  3. davidhilton

davidhilton Supporting Member

i say stick w the 2 sl112 cabs...saves ur back and sounds amazing...a 2x12...back breaking...and with the 2 separate cabs u have the option to use one for small/medium gigs...
  4. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Nah, for most players a good quality 212 is all the cab you would need for any gig, and the 4ohm impedance allows you to use a wide variety of small heads that will crank nicely (i.e., the typical 400-600 watt into 4ohm output).

A good 4ohm 212 is IMO the 'sweet spot' in the market right now. No need for massive power, and as loud as many high quality 410's at this point in a smaller, lighter format. Awesome format for those of us who play at 'normal volumes', playing pop/country/funk whatever music styles.
  5. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Depends what you want. A 212 version will be lighter than the equivalent 2 x 112 version, less expensive, and still quite lightweight. I would never 'hand carry' two 112's anyway, and on a cart, the 212 version is even simpler to schlep than the stack.

Both versions make sense.
  6. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Agreed, having a 212 with the option of 4 or 8 ohms is leaving the door open for different needs.. If you're a loud hard rocker that needs a huge rig, a pair of 8 ohm 212's would be a nice stack. Otoh, if you're like me, using a 300 watt amp and not uber loud, a 4 ohm 212 is the perfect one cab rig for most situations.
  7. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

I agree the option would be nice. Given that many lead sleds that those 'super loud guys' use can run at 2ohms, and given that an 8ohm option would require the manufacturer to use different drivers than the 112 version, if choosing one or the other, the 4ohm will probably be a much bigger seller than the 8ohm version and more profitable for the manufacturer.
  8. NewGuy

NewGuy Supporting Member

Ken that was exactly my line of thinking. If Aguilar does start producing a SL 212 I could see that cab replacing my current 210 and even possibly my 410. Thanks everyone for entertaining my little idea of my dream cab :) it's always cool hearing different opinions on here.