1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Cab to go with Aguilar Tone Hammer 350...

Discussion in 'Ask Anthony Wellington' started by Freemonkey, Aug 25, 2012.

1. Freemonkey

Freemonkey

... Other than an Aguilar cab.
    I'm fairly skint so was wondering what the best cab would be for about $250 until I can afford the sl series cabs.
    Thanks!
  2. Ant Wellington

Ant Wellington

Sorry, I've only played Aguilar cabs for a long time. It's like dating Halle Beery, there's no need or desire for me to check out anything else.

Maybe someone else can help you here.

-aw
  3. dDaddybass

dDaddybass Supporting Member

You can't go wrong with Bergantino.
  4. Ant Wellington

Ant Wellington

Yo DaddyB,

You missed the point! He can't afford the Aguilar cans right now. If he can't afford the Aguilar cans he can't afford any of the high end stuff.

-aw
  5. dDaddybass

dDaddybass Supporting Member

Sorry, my bad. $250 is going to a bit of a stretch unless you go used. The Genz Benz focus cabs have been getting alot of buzz. Hope that helps.
  6. leigh22

leigh22

In terms of something cost effective, and *PROBABLY* very nice sounding, TC electronics has an model called the RS112. Its a single 12 inch driver in a TC cab. they go for about $449.00 US... Which I know is still $200 over budget for you. But In going for a nice little rig for the TH350, I think it would be a decent contender.

Looking on musicians friend, Ashdown also has a 1x12 (get you by while you save) little cab for $299.

Ofcourse what I would most recommend since you have a decent head, and are hunting for good tone, is if you have an old combo or something you used to practice with. You could always disconnect the original head section from it, and run the speakers from that with the new TH350. and save save save! and get yourself that Aguilar cab. I always think if your end game is in reach, buying a few cheep things along the way (though it can help you get by) also kind of hinders saving for what you want.

If you can make do with what you have for a few more months, then right now you are actually $250.00 closer to the cab you actually want.

Anyway... Thats probably enough from me!

Keep on groove'n!

:bassist:
  7. sonofabass

sonofabass

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amplification, Mike Lull,MXR,Gruv Gear, Mono
    The Aguilar sound is its heads and cabinets. I'm with Anthony - no need to do anything bit Aguilar.

I personally love me TH with one or 2 gs 112s depending on the gig.
  8. phillybass101

phillybass101 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Brubaker Guitars
    Avatar sb112 $289. However if you really want that Aggie this would be $289 towards the Aguilar Cab. Think of it this way. if you spend the $289 on something else you will still want an Aguilar cab. Thing is how badly do you need a cab right now?
  9. Ant Wellington

Ant Wellington

I agree! But that kind of reasoning and logic doesn't have anything to do with bass or music. It's just logical and efficient thinking.

But I like for people to arrive at that on their own.

-aw
  10. henry2513

henry2513 Supporting Member

You can get a used GS-112 for about $300 if you check Clist.
  11. ersheff

ersheff

What about a used Bag End S15-D?
    8 ohm, but efficient, so should be fairly loud with the TH350.
    I just picked up one of those cabs this weekend, and my TH350 should be here in a couple days... can't wait!
  12. mexibass

mexibass

Hi all! I'm buying a TH 350, but I noticed that it only has one output, how am I supposed to connect two cabs? Never had to daisy chain cabs before coz all the amps I've ever owned had two outputs, so I'm not sure how this works. Thanx!
  13. Supertanker

Supertanker Watch the dog! He is trained to bite! Supporting Member

Daisy chain, that's how it works...

Just be sure your cabs are identical and you won't have any problemz...
  14. mexibass

mexibass

That's what I thought! Thnks for the input!
  15. Spaldo

Spaldo

I'd go the Aggie cabs. If you're really that skint, I reckon an Ashdown 1 x 12 will see you through.

I'm not big on used cabs, you don't really know what the voice coils have been put through. I often play at festivals where backline is supplied and generally the boxes sound very tired....in one case, I recently used an Aguilar hire rig that sounded rubbish; conversely, the very next day i used another one that sounded brilliant!

IMHO, you're better off getting a new one.
  16. Ant Wellington

Ant Wellington

I totally agree! Never buy used cabs. Unless you know the former owner, you just don't how hard they've been 'pushed' or if the speakers have been swapped out with 'lesser' quality speakers. Most of us don't consider that. And most if us, including myself, would never know.

And a LOT of bass players like to turn up to 11!!!!!
  17. Spaldo

Spaldo

^ (made my day) :smug: