cab to pair with ampeg svt 115e

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by mbernard110, Dec 30, 2012.

1. mbernard110

mbernard110

I recently acquired an svt 115en to use with my portaflex 500 head, and am looking for an 8 ohm, 2x10 to pair with it. Ideally I would get an svt210he but they have been discontinued and are really hard to come across. So I'm just asking if anyone has the svt115 and has experience pairing it with a different 2x10. Of course I'm looking to avoid phasing issues so any advice or input is appreciated.
  2. Bass_Pounder

Bass_Pounder

Then the only answer is another matching 1X15.

Just because cabs are made by the same company does NOT mean they were designed to work together without issues.
  3. mbernard110

mbernard110

I understand that, and I know it's a crap shoot to find a non matching cab that won't have phasing issues, but I have heard from a few people that the svt210he pairs with it very well. I am really hoping to get lucky and find a used one in the near future.
  4. klokker

klokker

I agree that if you want to add a cab, its just best to add the same cab and same speakers. But I'm overly cautious that way, especially if good money is involved.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. WCHIII

WCHIII

Do does this mean for instance a Peavey VB 115 will not match up with the VB 210? Or would one need to go with two 115's or 2 210's? Im trying to figure out a cab combo myself and 115 and 210 is kinda the way I want to go but Im hearing alot about this not working...
  7. dukeisdog

dukeisdog Supporting Member

It could, but with everyone telling you that matching cabs are the best answer here, you really should test them both, and pick two of whatever you liked best.
  8. mbernard110

mbernard110

Yes I would like to mix the boom of the 15" with the punch and clarity of a 2x10" cab. But I may have to go with the second 115 to be safe, I'm just looking for someone with experience with the 115e and a 210 that didn't have phasing issues when combined. The only one I've heard of is the illusive svt210he. But to WCHIII, I'd say that would be a safe bet that they'd play well with each other. But I'd recommend to try them together before you buy, if possible, because you really don't know til you try it.
  9. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

and those are the fallacies, that the 15 automatically has the "boom" and the 2x10 automatically has the "clarity", and also that you're somehow "mixing" lows from one with highs from the other, when both are full-range cabs.
  10. mbernard110

mbernard110

Well in my experience playing with 210s and 115s those are the differences I've noticed. I've seen players with this type of combination and it sounds very nice.
  11. Bass_Pounder

Bass_Pounder

Nobody says that it will sound like crap while standing in front of your amp.

The problem is when you move around the room you are playing. There *can* be spots where there is no bass, and other spots where it is all boom.

Just about any two cabs together sound better then just one.

And lastly, you say you heard other mixed rigs that sound good to you - the question is, have you ever tested all the possibilities (two of the same 2X10's, or two of the same 1X15's Vs. the mix rig) ?

Without hearing them side by side, you cannot say that the mixed rig was better. May sound good, but better then matched ?
  12. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

You simply cannot attribute "lows", Boomy's", "clarity", "punch", etc by the size of the driver alone. It is but ONE of MANY factors to consider. Bass cabs are designed as full range, which means exactly that. Though there are many cases of a mixed rig sounding fine, the only way to know for sure that 2 cabs will sound good together, is identical cabs. The whole 15's for lows and 10's for punch is urban myth, and a powerful one at that. Use your ears, not your eyes.,
  13. mbernard110

mbernard110

OK, thanks for the input fellas.
  14. WCHIII

WCHIII

I thank you all too along with mbernard110..This subject has me not knowing WHAT to do. I did send an email to Genz Benz asking about the two Uber 210 and 115 cabs. I'll let you know what they tell me..
  15. mbernard110

mbernard110

Ok cool, I'd be interested to hear.
  16. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    They will never try to dissuade you from buying their products.
  17. bassmeknik

bassmeknik

I have never heard of a commercial cab manufacturer recommend against mixing drivers in a full range set-up. They are NOT in business to teach you what works best, they are in business to sell cabs. Listen to bassists and bassists with engineering background, this mixing driver concept for more "punch and clarity" is a total myth perpetuated over and over by people with no understanding of the laws of physics and sound reproduction. Cab manufacturers are not going to jeopardize a sale because you don't understand what makes a good rig. They will perpetuate the myth for as long as it sells cabs. Don't listen to cab manufacturers, talk to as many bassists as you can, and if you are able to analyze the data supporting the idea that mixing drivers is a crap shoot do it. "Crap shoot" in this context means it may work ok but probably won't work better than matching cabs with all the same drivers. I did this with my own money (spent over $500 on a mixed driver rig and SCRAPPED the idea a year later for a fridge). I am totally converted on this. Mixed driver rigs are a gamble and they will always have phasing issues. If you are only concerned with what YOU hear then get what you like. If you are concerned about how you sound out in the audience then learn the science and consider using what consistently works and sounds uniform all around the room, matching drivers.

A few exceptions:
    1. fEarful type designs that use passive crossovers and/or rigs using multiple (dedicated) high frequency drivers that are aligned vertically
  18. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    +1

Man oh man... if we all had a rolling counter on how much we have spent on cabs...
  19. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

+1 again, and I've wasted a small fortune before learning. But, some folks just don't care to learn.