Cab with GK MB210

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by redshot, Sep 21, 2013.

1. redshot

redshot

Hello, I have a previous generation GK MB210 combo, and I want to get an extension cab for it, but any GK MBE115/210 is too expensive.

I'm looking into a TC Electronics BC210, which is relatively cheap for the performance I want.

What do you think about this mix?

2. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

Electronically it will be just fine. You won't know if the cab's voicing will complement or fight the G-K until you try it live.

3. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

+1 the only choice with a known answer is a matching GK 210. Anything else is a bit of a gamble, though in this case, not too much of a gamble.

4. redshot

redshot

I might borrow one so I can test it out, on the meantime I found a friend who has a friend who has one. Probably!

Thanks for the input :) :bassist:

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Mtnman

Mtnman

I pair mine with an SWR Goliath IV that I picked up used for $250. The pair works well together sound-wise, but I have to strap the GK to the top of the SWR to stop it from vibrating off.

7. redshot

redshot

Too light? :p I might do the other way around, the TCE on top.

8. redshot

redshot

I haven't yet made a decision because the situation has changed. [/dramatic_tone]

In the same store I bought this combo, I found the extension cabinet for 295, where the BC210 is at 299 (279 if I order it from Thomann).

So I guess I could buy the matching extension... Ideas?

9. wshines1892

wshines1892

If you like the tone from the combo, then the matching cab will give you more of it. Like they said before, anything short of a direct match for speakers is always a gamble in terms of phasing. I had a mb210 combo recently and really liked the tone myself, a bit boomy if anything but nothing rolling off the lows couldn't fix. I seriously considered picking up the matching cab before ultimately deciding I didn't need two rigs. I personally think you'd be happier with both the looks and tone of the matching cab in the long run.