Cabinet for Ashdown ABM 500 evo III

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by becassin, Jan 7, 2014.

1. becassin

becassin

Hello everyone,

First post in here, only after reading a lot of useful stuff, so before anything, THANKS!

I decided to get rid of my classic ha3500/vx410 rig. Been using it since I began playing bass (~15 years), I grew a bit tired of it. Plus it safe to assume it's not in its prime neither.

So I bought the ABM 500 evo III. I liked how quickly I could get a good sound on it.

Now is time for the cabs. I definetly need to have some headroom as I play mainly simple and loud stuff. I'm going to check tomorrow an Ampeg HLF 410 second hand. From experience I don't really dig the Ampeg sound, always found it a bit "boomy". I like more modern sound signature, clear highs.

On the other side, I've read a lot of pros about the GK NEO serie. I played a gig with a microbass, and the thing was HUGE compared to its size! I'm especially curious in running 12" speakers. Regarding modularity, I then concluded a set of 2 NEO 212 might be what I'm looking for?

My main question is: while the total impedance of the cabs would result in 4ohms, which is perfect, what comes in terms of wattage? The ABM runs 575W (at 4ohms), does it makes sense to plug it into 2 cabinets running 600W?

If you have any opinions on the cabinets mentionned, other suggestions, I'd appreciate it as well, cheers!

2. becassin

becassin

3. CoR Bass

CoR Bass Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Conklin Basses, Ashdown Amplifiers, Morley Pedals
    I have an ABM 500 EVO II and I run 2 ABM 410Hs at 4ohms. They sound great. I've never played through 12" speakers, but I have played through a combo of 4x10 and 15 and 4x10 and 18. I found that 2 4x10 cabs have given me the best sound. I like having 2 cabs stacked, the sound projects much better. I do play with one cab sometimes but I feel like I'm playing to my ankles. I agree with you on Ampeg. I've played my head through an Ampeg 8x10 and really didn't like the tone I got. Depending on your budget, you may want to check out Dave Eden and Bergantino as well.

4. crguti

crguti

you got an ABM head... so get the ABM cabs.

5. Register to disable this ad