1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Cabinet for Little Mark III

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by anton72, Sep 16, 2013.

1. anton72

anton72 Supporting Member

Guys who uses Markbass gear, a question to you: If you had to chose between Traveller 102P and New York 604 - which one would you chose for LMIII head?
    Thanks!
  2. Russell L

Russell L

Between those two I'd get the 102P, but it's because I need the bigger sound and SPL. What I DID get is two Traveler151P cabs, although one is usually enough. I'd like to have a Barefaced Compact.
  3. Texan

Texan 667 Neighbor of the Beast. Supporting Member

These sound great through Bergantino 12's.
  4. Jbassrockboy

Jbassrockboy

102 p

In saying that I use markbass 112 cabs off a momark head but i anticipate that if I had to make a choice that's what I would go for

If you get the 102p you can always double it later or match to a 12 or 15 if you need to

I appreciate not everyone on TB is into markbass gear but I have steadily progressed away from other gear and have built my little markbass rig up and I am very happy with it

Rossa
  5. anton72

Thank you guys! Any other ideas?
  6. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

The Travellor 102P is OK, but two things that I don't particularly care for. First, it is a very small 210, and the low end is not very forceful. Second, I try to stay away from the Markbass cabs that have the piezo tweeters (the 'p' cabs). They tend to fail, and really only seem to impact the super high treble frequencies. Not horrible, but given the price of those cabs, I would at least go for one with the true compression driver, which sounds quite nice.

I LOVE the LMIII, and to me, if you have the cash, it sounds particularly good with the Bergantino AE112 or AE210 (discontinued, but they turn up used), and also I would guess the new CN112. All these cabs would outperform the two Markbass Cabs you are looking at.

On a lower budget, the GK Neo112(II) (especially if you get two of them) is impressive for the money).

If you don't mind a bit more weight, the Bergantino HS210 (discontinued, but they come up used) or the Bergantino HD210 (slight revision of the HS210) are small, warm, punchy, high sensitivity, and sound great with the LMIII.

That head sounds pretty nice with everything I've tried, so you are most likely going to be reasonably happy with anything you get.

PS The 604 is tonally impressive, but it is high 'cost per output'... not particularly loud or deep. Beautiful midrange definition though.
  7. itr93_gt7

itr93_gt7 Supporting Member

From those two.... the 102p.

But, an Aguilar GS112 goes great with Markbass.
  8. gjbassist

gjbassist Supporting Member

+1
    I have a LMIII running through a pair of GK Neo 112's. Great sounding rig! You can get a pair of used Neo 112's for the cost of one Markbass cabinet.
  9. MotorCityWest

MotorCityWest

102p

I had the LMIII and 102p + 151p

Very versatile, could get different vibes from either cab or extremely loud with both.

102p was punchier with less low end. This worked well enough with most of my jams and small gigs. Mostly punk and rock n roll. This cab is so light and small, it is amazing.

Added the 151p when 102p started to get drowned out playing with guys that cranked it too loud in practice and more doom/drone stuff.

Ended up with LM Tube 800 and these cabs to be stupid loud enough to keep up with pretty much anything. So many people could not believe the sound that came from such a small light rig.
  10. greencow

greencow

My personal favorite Markbass cabs are the Traveler 121H followed by the 15" cabs.
  11. CLMSHQ

CLMSHQ

I use a LMIII with Avatar cabs. Sounds great!

A 410 4ohm for max power and A 112 8ohm for practice and smaller gigs.
  12. woodyng

woodyng

I have the traveller 1-12 too,it has a better tweeter in it than most of their cabs,but the best thing is it comes with an attenuator,so you can just turn the darn thing off.....
    I would really like to hear one of the NY 604 cabs,though.
  13. waveman

waveman Supporting Member

I am happy with my Avatar cabs. I use 2x10 for most bar gigs, add a 1x15 for bigger bars/venues, outdoors, etc.
  14. Jbassrockboy

Jbassrockboy

Me again :)

Each to their own and my comments are in full respect for all comments above

The tweeters in markbass cop a fair bit of criticism but like it was said above they can be attenuated

Whilst we can criticise mark bass I can also say the same about a blown tweeter in an Eden 112 that I had

But we as players generally blow the tweeter because we don't attenuate properly

Yes it's also true Aguilar etc are good cabs

But not so true on gk neo because markbass are neo two

So if price is an issue then sure get a cheaper cab

But like most things we get what we pay for and prices can vary depending on taxes or import duties etc etc and this can distort the value proposition when comparing products

Some people like to match gear with gear others don't care so much for matching and buy each component based on the calibre of the unit etc

Like I play a fender bass but I don't own and have never owned a fender cab

in context of the question and from practical experience with mark bass and some of the comments above the 102p isn't a bad choice

But each of us have to make own choice

I know when I played my j bass through a 102p at a retail that the sound was more mid and tops

The guy in the shop ran over almost apologising and asking me if I wanted to try a different cab and I said no

Here I was with a maple neck testing out the treble cos I was interested to check out how the cab handled a certain frequency range

I wasn't looking to the 102p to provide 'sick bottom end' it can certainly provide decent bottom end from the perspective of a 10 cab

But if I wanted deep I would have checked out the 15

The moral of all this is get a cab that will suit the music and work you want to do

In my case I was cautious as I was leaning more to a 112 and I eventually built on that with a second 112

If you like the 102p and you want to match with the lm you will have a great little rig and then enjoy it for what it is and build on it

But if you get hell bent on gk cabs then cool go for them or Aguilar etc

A lot of people rave about this or that gear and then surprise surprise the so called great gear is then up for sale...and they are onto the next gas

At the end of the day it's your rig your sound and your choice

Mark bass gear has some great and unique tone opportunities and it can take some time to understand how to glean the best out of it, but once you start finding the sweet spots your little markbass rig starts to justify its price and the other so called 'better' gear doesn't seem to somehow have the same attraction

That is not to say there isn't other good or better gear out there, its just to say that you will be able to find yourself in the mix if you are running markbass rig and if you keep working on how to engineer you sound

So, 102p ?? It will be a good choice if its a 2 x 10 can that you are after, but don't compare it with a 15 or 12 because its a 10.

Nuff said from me

Rossa
  15. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

A few things:D

First, you seem to be equating 'neo' with 'inferior'. This is FAR from the case, and many of today's top performing, high end bass cabs happen to use drivers with more powerful smaller magnets (neo)... Thunderchild cabs, fEARful cabs, Bergantino CN cabs, Aguilar SL cabs (if I have that name right), Epifani DIST cabs, etc., etc.

So, don't confuse magnet design with quality. Those little GK neo's are quite something.

Regarding tweeters, the very cheap piezo tweeters are prone to failure at much higher rates than compression drivers, and again, I would stay away from cabs that use those myself. They also extend much higher in the treble (i.e., they tend to reproduce hiss from a signal chain at a higher level than more traditional compression driver tweeters, that roll off a bit below the upper-upper treble).

Finally, driver size has little to do with anything these days... it is all about cabinet voicing and mechanical driver design. There are quite a few 10" loaded cabs that greatly outperform old school 15" loaded cabs in low end response and maximum volume.

So, to the OP, don't get stuck with the 'I need a certain driver size to get my tone' or 'I want heavy magnets for a heavy tone':D Not really the case at this point.

Again, Markbass makes some great cabs, and their drivers are top notch. I would personally stay away from the 'P' models, since they not only use those cheap piezo's that are more likely to fail , but they are quite expensive given that 'tweeter compromise' IMO. That Jeff Berlin combo and the Randy Jackson cab... killer IMO.

IMO and IME.
  16. Jbassrockboy

Jbassrockboy

Fair enough

But to be clear I am not putting neo's down , clearly they are good

And true about cab design

But a 10 and a 15 are different by virtue of size

As to how that transposes onto tone and sound depends on many things

Bottom line and in response to the question a markbass 102p matched to a lm is a good choice or to put it the other way it's not a bad choice

Rossa
  17. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

I understand wanting to have a matching Markbass rig since I for one, like the looks and sound. Two 102p cabs would work for most players especially for 4 strings. I play 5ers so went with 2 102hf cabs. 1 102hf can easily handle low volume gigs.
  18. anton72

Guys, thanks a lot for your feedbacks, I've studied everything thoroughly. I ended up with buying NY604 cab and it's amazing. Sure it's not a low end king but it gives me very articulated low mids that are likely to cut through the mix. Perfect option for small club and coffeeshop gigs. And it's extremely portable for 600 Watt(!!!) cab. It can also get ridiculously loud :) Another thing that impressed me is that when I plugged in my Micromark801 combo (which is only 65 Watt at 8 Ohm) it gave very tight lows and was surprisingly loud.
  19. marmadaddy

marmadaddy

I don't think you'll be sorry. I run a LMIII through one or two NY604 cabs and it's absolutely killer. I couldn't be happier with this rig.
  20. anton72

Thanks! I'm now thinking about trying their F1 head.