1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Cabinet Frequency Response for a 5 string

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by King David, Dec 11, 2006.

1. King David

King David

OK, I know there are those of you that understand this better than I do, so help me out. The low B on a 5 string is at 30.87. Many cabinets go only down to 45 hz or some even to 35 hz. Now am I missing something? To take full advantage of the low B wouldn't the cabinet need to be able to play that low. Now, I know that the frequency response is kind of a guide more than a hard cutoff. If you look at the response curve, the frequency response is really telling you where the speaker can effecitvely reproduce at an efficinet volume the frequencies in that range (in non-techie language). But, what that really means is that these cabinets cannot effecively reproduce a Low B at the same volume that it can say a high B. Why is it that more cabinet maufactures don't make cabinets that can get that low. For a 4 string it is less important, because the E I believe is around 41 Hz. For this many 4x10" cabinets can do that, but even most 1x15" can't do not get below 40hz. Does any one else think that is a little crazy.
    While I am at it, does anybody have recomendations for a nice low end cabinet?

2. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

Dude, you dont hear the fundamentals, you hear the various harmonics.

Like you say, many cabinets would give the low E, but it still sounds fine on them aye?

Also, at the cabinets lowest frequency, there is a steep roll off by that point, in otherwords that frequency area is really quiet.

3. snowdan

snowdan

don't worry! i yesterday rehearsed with my funk band, 6 string bass. i used my tiny GK 12" combo and a rather small 12" extension cab, nowhere near provicing incredible deep bass response.

end of story? with some compression, i was perfectly fine, including great b string response. within the volume limits of that setup, of course.

4. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice

Disclosures:
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Search old threads. You won't have to go back very far. This topic reappears every ten days or so, and has been beaten to death.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Depth_Charge

Depth_Charge

Or the bloodied beaten corpse of a topic could be left as a sticky for us all to brush the flies from when required then ey? :bag:

7. Stride000

Stride000

I learned with time that there are a lot of things influencing the sound of a cabinet. I used to look at efficiency, frequency range etc... but found out you usually can only tell by actually listening to the cab.

To give you an exemple, I tried the same bass and same amp with 3 different cabinets that have a different frequency range.

First, an ampeg BXT410 - freq. resp. = 45hz to 18khz. The cabinet would handle the low B but the sound was thin and muddy throughout.

Second, an Eden 210XST - freq. resp. = 30hz to 14khz. The sound was thick and punchy but was becoming less punchy and thinner below F even with a frequency resp. of 30hz

Third, Aguilar GS212 - freq. resp. = 41hz to 16khz. Handles all the range from the low B extremely well.

8. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice

Disclosures:
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    You can't make a comparison with those response figures because they don't say precisely what the actual sensitivity is at 45, 30 and 41 Hz. The AG may actually be more sensitive than the Eden at 30 Hz. In the abscence of industry wide standards actually listening to various cabs is the only valid comparison method.