Cabinet suggestions?!?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by slade, Nov 10, 2012.

1. slade

slade

So here goes-
    Due to a bulging disc I need to lighten up. Currently gigging an SVT 7 pro into a Bergantino HD410. Main basses are American Deluxe Jazz and American Standard P. Music is super variable- everything from americana/county to funk, blues, reggae, rock, jazz etc. Typically I shoot for a round, warm, articulate tone- sometimes a little tube breakup but typically just big and clean. Multiple drummers- some super heavy handed. Very rarely have FOH support so I need to be able to cover your typical 200 person club with my rig. Multiple bands, years and years of experience- 90% of my gigging has been done with 4-10s and 8-10s.

Ok- with all that being said- I've been thinking about going modular- 2 single 15s possibly. I'm a little nervous that 2 single 12s just won't quite cut it, but I have no clue as I've never played a rig with 2 single 12s. When I purchased my HD410 I a/bd it with the HD212- it was a toss up really, but everyone in the store pretty much thought that the 410 sounded more articulate and the 212 was a little darker. Both great cabs. Only complaint with the 410 is the weight- 90lbs!

I don't want to start a fEARful debate again so let's stay away from them for the time being (I'm still looking into them though). Guess I want to hear from other gigging/working bass players about cabs that work well for them. I'm looking at Neo cabs for weight reasons.

Specifically been looking at these 15s-
    Ampeg PN-115HLF
    GK Neo 115 111
    Genz Benz- GB 115T-UB
    Mesa Boogie- Standard 1x15 PowerHouse

Realistically I'm open to any cabs, 10's, 12's, 15s that some of you all love. They need to be fairly light and capable of what I described above. And again, for the time being let's stay away from custom stuff and just compare mass produced brands that you guys and gals rock. Thanks in advance!

Slade
  2. DethByDoom

DethByDoom Supporting Member

I have a herniated disc too. Go team! I think an 810 is easier to move than a 410. Tilt it back and go. Less bent over dragging and lifting.

If you really wanna go light there's going d.i. and in ear monitors. Yuck. Or something like the Ampeg Micro VR "stack". Which sounds awesome. Oranges isobaric 210 or 212 cabs. 210 neo cabs in general. Personally I really don't like the last two at all.

Bending, lifting, rolling, two cabs that are low to the ground would be better how?
  3. radrack

radrack

I got a Markbass 104 F last year & am blown away at how good it sounds, It's only 65 lbs compared to my previous Mesa 6-10 that was 134 lbs (which sounded incredible!) but was just too big & heavy.
    Most of the cabs with neo spkrs are going to be an improvement for your back, so just play some & see what works for you. Good luck
  4. slade

slade

I've got an 810 in my garage- overkill for most gigs I do, and a total beast to get in and out of my truck solo. Tilt back roll is easy but the rest is brutal. I have a rock cart, so going from truck to club is pretty easy, it's the in and out of the truck, up on stage etc that blows. 40-50 pound lift is much mo betta than 90 lb lift...
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. DethByDoom

DethByDoom Supporting Member

Check out this video on YouTube:<br/><br/>http://youtu.be/7ECS3bW43IE

I load my 810 in my truck with relative ease. But yeah&hellip; it can be more than what some gigs require but&hellip; its so awesome.
  7. slade

slade

that would be cool if I had a mini van- my tailgate is up past my hips- loading the 810 solo aint happening anymore with my back- plus, like I said, it's overkill for most of my gigs. Cool vid though!
  8. SactoBass

SactoBass There are some who call me.......Sactobass

Slade, I can certainly relate to the desire to lighten the rig somewhat but not give up the "oomph" factor.

I spent alot of time researching and trying different rigs. I too have had the heavy stuff (85 pound Ampeg SVT, fridge cabs, 100 pound Berg cabs, etc, etc.)

Like you, I wanted to maintain the ability to carry the room without PA support, but not break my 56 year old back in the process. I ended up with this rig:

• Tube preamp in its own separate rack
    • Crest CA9 power amp in its own separate rack (amp is 47 pounds, plus the 2-space rack)
    • A stacked pair of Genz Benz Uber 212 cabs (63 pounds each)
    I can still knock down walls with this rig if I want to (which is good for outdoor gigs), and the heaviest item of my rig is 63 pounds.

Here is a link to the Genz Benz site that has the cab specs:

http://www.genzbenz.com/?fa=detail&mid=2391&sid=611&cid=96

I have no affiliation with Genz.

The two-channel Crest CA9 pumps 800 watts from 20-20k hz into each cab. I can use just one cab or both, depending on the venue.
  9. SactoBass

SactoBass There are some who call me.......Sactobass

I also highly highly highly recommend a Kart-A-Bag Super 600 cart. 300 pound capacity, top quality, worth its weight in gold (IMO). It makes life soooo much easier. And it folds up nicely.
  10. musicman666

musicman666 Supporting Member

I have (2) GK Neo 115 III's and love em'. I pair it with a Markbass amp. They are plenty loud..not as loud as my Ampeg 8x10 but they cut through much better and have a solid bass thump. The GK neo 115's have a spike in the upper mids but it's tamable with my little mark 3. I hear they are even better when paired with a tube amp or hybrid like the Genz Benz Streamliner. Don't know how they would sound with your Pro 7. As for the others on your list I have only tried the pf 115 and Mesa 115 and I prefered the GK's for value, tone, and weight.
  11. slade

slade

yeah, I've got a great cart and I don't know what I was thinking not buying one years ago.
    I got rid of the pre amp/ power amp combo a year ago ( I had an Aguilar DB680 and a QSC 3002)- I gigged it for about 10 years, mostly into a Genz Benz 410. Great rig, but big and cumbersome. My goal was to go small. I bought a GB Streamliner 900 first but it didn't cut for me live- tried the GK 550 fusion (sounded good but was big), tried the Mesa Carbine M9 (awesome but big too).

Stacked 212s is definitely another option.

Thanks for your feedback Sacto!!
  12. slade

slade

Those cabs are probably at the top of my list right now. What kind of music do you play? Venues? Can you get a big, dubby tone out of those boxes? Last nights gig for example I went from Stray Cats, to Queen, to Sublime, to the Stones, to Green Day, to Bob Marley, to Merle Haggard etc etc. When I go into Sublime, Bob, DUB stuff I like to roll onto my neck pup and boost my lows to get a subby, dubby tone without adjusting my amp- thus my cab needs to be able to go deep.
    Even last night with a loud band and no FOH my HD410 goes plenty loud and low- shook the stage all night. Can those 15's really thump if pushed??
  13. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

I have no disks left top and bottom of L4. G-K NEO212 does it in spades with the fusion 550. 50 easy lbs, I have to have help still but sharing that load feels like nothing. The amp head and 5-string are harder to carry! You can add wheels, they have the sockets installed but casters are not included.

Just read your post above I play the same stuff with blues, 60's rock and roll, and motown added.
  14. slade

slade

thanks for the feedback! Did you compare the 2-12 to the 115 when you purchased? Do you find the 2-12 enough for all your gigs? Goes big?? One cab that's only 50lbs would be great for sure! Like I said, the berg 212 sounded huge but was just as big and heavy as the berg 410 (well it's 9lbs lighter but still 80lbs).

Good to know I'm not the only one with a bad back (also need to have both hips replaced) Joy....
  15. B-string

I didn't try the 15's but then I came from many decades of 15" cabs. I also have the NEO412 and that is why I went with the NEO212 for places the 412 was too big (small stages even in larger gigs around here). It has a smooth more balanced response that eq's very well and gets really loud if need be. I haven't run out of clean power yet (haven't hit power compression).
    Dynamic drummer, two guitars and keys is the current project.

(Yes it is embarrassing to struggle even bringing in the groceries these days huh! :spit: :oops:)
  16. two fingers

two fingers Loud Mouth Know It All Blowhard Gold Supporting Member

Walkabout Scout 15's. I run two and have even done outdoor gigs with no bass in the FOH. I don't know of a really tiny cab (or even two) that will get it done if you have to fill the club with your rig. But the Scouts don't weigh all that much. Getting a good cart or hand truck of some sort helps (and by the way the Magna Carta thing that breaks down is awkward with the two 15" Scouts).

They move a ton of air and sound very articulate to be 15's.
  17. musicman666

Yes the Neo 115's paired together can put out the lows and handle it well. When you said Dub I think 810. I play mostly rock, blues and a little punk. I don't play dub so I am not sure how they would handle those massive lows. For massive low end I always go with more speakers like a 4x10 or fridge. I would think (2) 2x12 stacked would probably give you plenty of low end without worry of blowing speakers.
  18. musicman666

+ 1 on the Walkabout Scout 15's. That's a rocking rig! Tons of tone and bass......If you cannot afford that rig do yourself a favor and don't try it!
  19. slade

slade

Those look killer as well. Do they outperform the power house cabs? What's the deal with the down firing radiator? Any idea on weight? Thanks for another option!
  20. dukeorock

dukeorock Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Authorized greenboy designs builder
    Of the cabs originally listed, I'd go with an Uber 115...really nice cab
  21. B-string