1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Cabinet suggestions

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Jaruquin, Nov 27, 2012.

1. Jaruquin

Jaruquin

I currently have a SWR SM-900 with a SWR 4 x 8 250W 8ohms cab hooked to one side in stereo mode. I like the sound I just need a bit more volume. I was looking for a cab to replace this one....either 650w @ 8 ohms or 400w @ 4 ohms. What do you guys think?

Attached Files:

2. krutonlowend

krutonlowend

What's your budget and what type of music do you play (what type of sound are you looking for)?
  3. Jaruquin

Jaruquin

I play all style from funk to rock, reggea to jazz. I have a 5 string Schecter Stiletto Studio. Mainly I like the funk. Nice crisp sound no mud. Budget is $500 to $700 but its flexable for the right cab.
  4. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Almost ANY larger cab will be louder than your 4x8, but adding another 4x8 would significantly increase volume as well.
  5. SteveHeissner

SteveHeissner

An Avatar 410 (NEO or ceramic depending on your preference) would fall into that price range. Available in 8 or 4 ohms.
  6. Joedog

Joedog

I'd be tempted to look for a matching cab to pair up with your existing one.
  7. Jaruquin

Jaruquin

I would LOVE to find another SWR 4 x 8 but there hard to come by.
  8. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

For my tastes I would be looking at buying a fEARful 15/6 flatpack, or finding one used. Gonna handle anything your head will throw at it, and most users find them to be tonal chameleons.
  9. krutonlowend

krutonlowend

+1. I'm beginning to get that fEARful itch myself.

I have an avatar 210 and play a little bit of the funky stuff and I really like the sound. Price is nice too.
  10. Jaruquin

Jaruquin

What's the difference between the NEO and the ceramic Avatar?
  11. rpsands

rpsands

12. Jaruquin

Jaruquin

$500 to $700
  13. krutonlowend

krutonlowend

The main difference between the neos and ceramics is weight I think the neo 210 cab is about 15 pounds lighter if memory serves me. To my ears I can't really hear a difference.
  14. 39-Bassist

39-Bassist

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist for: Brace Audio; Duncan Pickups; Line6
    SWR Magoliath...8 x10 and slittable top and bottom....ran that with my Carvin BX1200 dual power amp and WOW!!!!! Great tones form that cab and power too boot!