Cabinets

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Trod1946, Feb 4, 2014.

1. Trod1946

Trod1946 Supporting Member

I just bought a Mesa Prodigy from a TB'er and I'm just curious for all those that use this amp on what kind of cab do you like to use? Do y'all prefer 810,212,215...?
  2. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

I prefer one that sounds good to me. That may be different than what anyone else uses.

That would mean I'd use it on a single 15, a 2x12, a 4x10, or anything else that I had at the moment.

So my answer is - use it with whatever sounds good to you. An amp is pretty much an amp...you have tons of options and with that amp, they're going to be good ones.
  3. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

I've only used my Prodigy through my Bergantino 610 at high volume and at low volumes through my Mesa Scout 112 and it sounds great through both. Considering the relatively low wattage of tube amps I find they tend to match best with larger cabinets to give you the most headroom, but if you don't need extreme volumes or if you dig overdrive at manageable volumes sometimes smaller cabs are the better choice. If you peruse the Prodigy/Strategy mega thread you will see a handful of experiences with different cabs- I feel that the Berg CN212 is a popular pairing among the few TBers that have the combo!
  4. catgut

catgut

At the full 250W I'd do a 610 or 412 or 215. But anything will work. Depends on how big you want your sound.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. dukeisdog

dukeisdog Supporting Member

I love my Powerhouse 412 or 610 running at either half or full power. Great pairings!
  7. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    Measured sensitivity and especially "percieved loudness (voicing)" varies in speakers.....a lot.

As a general rule of thumb, with 250 watts, I use 212's to cover up to about medium size stages, or fill a small bar room with the rig alone, at "something less than metal" volumes. Can double that up to 412's for larger or outdoor stages, or filling a bit larger rooms without help from the PA (or a bit smaller ones at "metal volume").

But, the same thing could be said for pairs of 410's, or 15's, or newer style 2 or 3 way cabs, and still be either overkill or come up short depending on what you need to do.

So, as usual, the answer is "it depends".

Might get some more better advice by giving your typical gig size, output needs, PA situation, etc.
  8. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

+1 the spkr cab requirements are directly related to the amount of volume you need. With bass, bigger is almost always better, so think in terms of your specific situation.
  9. thefunkgorilla

thefunkgorilla

Hello Trod,
    I have used my Prodigy though a 610 LDS sealed cab designed to mimic an SVT, each 210 in its own chamber, and I also use it with a sealed 115 Carvin 115 MB extension cab on 1/2 power. It sounds awesome with both cabs, but I am a big fan of tube amps and sealed cabs. The previous posts are correct, get whatever sounds best to you. I also have a 212 Schroeder and a 410 Ampeg PN HLF, the prodigy sounds great through them as well. I think I could plug it into a shoebox and get a good sound.

Attached Files:

10. monsterthompson

monsterthompson The Eighth Note Wonder Of The World Supporting Member

When I tested the Prodigy, I loved it with voice 2, a J bass, and a Mesa 810.