1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Cable from pedalboard to amp

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by BFunk, Feb 25, 2013.

1. BFunk

BFunk Gold Supporting Member

I am looking for the best cable to run from pedalboard to amp. Assume there is a buffer on the pedalboard, so tone is not an issue. I also don't care about flexibility. What I do care about is durability. I should be able to step on the cable or kick it many times during a performance and not have it crap out on me. For the same reason it should have low handling noise. It should also lie flat easily. I might use gaffer's tape to secure it, but don't count on that. The end that connects to the pedalboard must be a right angle. The other end doesn't matter. It should be about 15' long. It should be fairly cheap, say under $50. Based on bogomania's report, I think a DiMarzio nylon wrap should do the trick. What do you think?
  2. TOOL460002

TOOL460002

Audiopile.net is great. They'll make whatever you want and are cheap and fast (and nice folks). I suggest them for all your cabling needs.
  3. BFunk

I've bought a lot of pro-audio gear from them. They make decent mic cables for a great price. How is the handling noise and durability of their instrument cables?
  4. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

Are you opposed to making your own?

15' Canare GS-6
    Your choice of Neutrik connectors, straight or right angle
    Techflex sheidling
  5. BFunk

I've done some soldering before. I am not very good at it. However, its been something I've wanted to learn.
  6. Gremson

Gremson

I've always loved spectraflex cables...
  7. TOOL460002

TOOL460002

I've been using their cables for years in the same fashion you describe: straight from a pedal board with a buffer (into a rack compressor) into a solid state amp. The cables are very durable (none have broken), but I'm sure you can find higher quality cables elsewhere. However, it sounds fine to me.
  8. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    For cheap it is really hard to beat Dimarzio. For just a bit more, Armor Gold has a nice tough mesh exterior that makes it good for stomping on.
  9. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

It's a really simple project, and a good one to learn with.
  10. My name is Mudd

My name is Mudd

It's past the price range you mentioned (and approaching the "HOW much?!?" range), but the Elixir cables are approaching bullet-proof, IMO. I was one of the beta testers for these a few years ago and mine still looks brand new. Admittedly, it's only been used at home and not on stage (yet), but given the way it's put together I'd guess that the durability factor is high.

And while I'm definitely not in the 'must be better 'cause it's pricy' camp, even bongo says that the Elixirs are worth the price.
  11. BFunk

I would certainly use a cable like this for bass->pedalboard. However, considering I have an always-on buffer on my PB, I don't see the point in using a expensive cable for PB->amp.
  12. mjac28

mjac28 50th Anniversary Ed Sullivan February 9, 1964 Gold Supporting Member

I use Mogami Gold love them.
  13. LeonD

LeonD Supporting Member

Funny that. I also was in the Elixir cable beta program. I liked their cable so much, I bought two more for myself. Toughest cable I've ever used.
  14. Primakurtz

Primakurtz Registered Nihilist Supporting Member

I use Lava Cable's "Rock Option" - Techflex, epoxy, the works. For a cable that gets stepped-on and beer-soaked, I think it is a great approach. I have been using their Gepco cable - lower-cost, very solid:
    http://www.lavacable.com/index.php?id=73

The Rock Option is at the bottom of the page.
  15. BFunk

Looks like Elixir stopped making cables. Can anyone confirm?
  16. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Holy cannolis! I did not know that previously, but a search tells me you heard correctly. No more Elixir cables. That's a real pity.
  17. BFunk

I ordered a couple of armor golds. Thanks bogomania.
  18. dluoma

dluoma

Me too. I do use a monster bass cable also.