Cabronita Cantina

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Scotty DelMar, Dec 8, 2013.

1. Scotty DelMar

Scotty DelMar Supporting Member

Clubs can be fun... Let's start this 'un out as a kind of registry listing type and color, serial number and weight, plus any other info Cab owners see fit. La Cabronitas, Cabronitas, Custom Shops, and homebrew customs welcome one and all. Maybe nominate a Padrone to ride herd over this posse of Cabronita Caballeros. Someone up to maintaining the list which wouldn't be yours truly. Viva Villa!
  2. 254 stringer

254 stringer Supporting Member

I'll play, my cab is my second favorite after my rick. Its strung with chromes and I prefer it to my regular P basses if thats legal to say on this site.
    [​IMG]
    Arizona Jones likes this.
  3. Scotty DelMar

Ok. Gotta reply to my own post. Squier VM Cabronita. 9 lbs. 6 oz. [more than this geezer likes to heft but so far this bass's merits cancel that out]. Black. SN ICS13161753. Pretty sweet build for the price point and Indonesian mfg. I'm basically a P bass nut, specifically early single coil types but have owned most of the usual suspects at one time or another. For me this instrument plots out a whole new sonic territory with it's Fidelitron p'up. Still on the honeymoon, but lovin' this little honey so far. Carry on.

Attached Files:

4. Scotty DelMar

254... Like! Gracias amigo.
  5. PWRL

PWRL Supporting Member

[​IMG]

My MIM with the weirdo guitar Fidelitron. Sounds great, good neck, low action with no buzz. I had GHS pressurewounds on it for a while and it really brought out a great woody funk, but presently has, of course, Chromes. I replaced the tuners with a nickel-plated set I had around, which of course dropped directly in like the originals.

Don't know how much it weighs because I don't own a scale, but it is balanced well.

Most people would wonder why one would buy a bass that has a guitar pickup in it, but it never really dawned on me at the time, because it played and sounded fine. Still very happy with it, especially with the heavy neck, as I had been after a Precision with that sort of thick neck.

I like to run it with my EH Bass Metaphors.
  6. Scotty DelMar

That's Cool PWRL. I read about your La Cab on another thread. I wouldn't change out the p'up if you like the sound. You've got a rare factory one off there. I wonder if anyone else does?
  7. steveinohio

steveinohio Supporting Member

Do these have a Ric type sound? Just looking at the pickup it seems like that's what they were going for.
  8. 254 stringer

No its more P like doesn't sound anything like a rick to me.
  9. PWRL

PWRL Supporting Member

Thanks, yeah, I like the name. :) I might not change the pickup out. And I thought there were a couple more people here who had one of these. The other one in the store where I bought mine did.
  10. 254 stringer

Looks like we might have to add Ben Shepherd to the group. [​IMG]
  11. tribbledaniel

tribbledaniel

I thought Shepherd only used flatwounds!?!
  12. PWRL

PWRL Supporting Member

Cabronitas sound pretty great with rounds.
  13. Scotty DelMar

Gonna try some TI Jazz flats pretty soon. PWRL is right about rounds though.
  14. PWRL

PWRL Supporting Member

Going to post a string rant for a bit here.
    Although these basses are not far removed from the regular Fender Precision genetic strain, they are nevertheless different. Therefore, as a string-changing nutball, I am very into trying different strings on these things.
    When I first got this bass, MIM La Cabronita, I played it with rounds that came on it, D'Addario nickel wounds, light gauge. Bright as heck, but sounded great. Took the suggestion to put Chromes on it, and did. Loved it, because I'm a fan of Chromes. But then I got a wild hair and threw some very old GHS Pressurewounds on it, that I had sitting around for about six years or something like that. They sounded good, but seemed tense as all get-out. So, I restrung it with the same Chromes and played it like that for a while. But something didn't seem all that right about it to me, and after a while, I put the Pressurewounds back on it and adjusted it and dialed it way, way down and played it until they broke in.
    Now, I switch strings around all the time in order to try different things for different sounds. I've had tapes on my Warwick and all sorts of stuff. But I have to say, GHS Pressurewounds sound really, really good on these basses.
    So the point of this post is that I am wondering, since these basses are so new (compared to the rest of the Precision line), what other people have been doing to/with theirs in this sort of regard.
  15. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

I think all fender basses come with fender strings.
  16. dalkowski

dalkowski

Purty. I'm starting to come around to these...
  17. PWRL

PWRL Supporting Member

Probably. I stand corrected. But the point I was trying to make is that initially I played it with rounds. In between swapping out sets of strings, I played it with rounds for about a week or so. The majority of the time, I played it with Chromes, because my band was doing oldies/classic rock covers, before curiosity got the best of me and I put on the Pressurewounds again.
  18. tribbledaniel

tribbledaniel

I have Labella's 760fl's on mine. I love the feel of those flats buy I find myself EQ'ing a lot to find the tone I want. I'm wondering if the strings are too sonically dark for the pickup?
    When I play it sounds as if I have a blanket on top of my cab. Granted I only play thru an Ampeg Micro-CL so I'm not expecting massive low-end but I wasn't expecting mooshy mud either!!
    Any thoughts?
  19. PWRL

PWRL Supporting Member

I'd try brighter strings and see what happens. Like I said in my earlier post, I found GHS Pressurewounds to my liking. I haven't used a Micro-CL so I don't know what the deal would be on that end, but I would for sure try out some brighter strings and go from there. If it were me, I would skip steel wound and go to straight to nickel wounds, but that's just me.
  20. JimmyThunder

JimmyThunder Supporting Member

anyone slap a fretless neck on one of these yet?